The Position There is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.*2/10/21* Currently recruiting for position that requires RN license.This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 7/5/21, 8/2/21, 9/6/21, 10/4/21, 11/1/21, 12/6/21
Under direction, performs a wide range of supervisory and administrative duties, including administration of direct acute care programs, related contracts, and County-operated mental health programs and services at the Mental Health Treatment Center (MHTC). Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Current principles and practices of mental health administration
- Principles of organization and supervision
- Principles and procedures of budget preparation and monitoring, including budgets involving grants, contracted services, and federal and state funding
- Techniques of contract negotiation and monitoring
- Principles and techniques of public personnel management with emphasis on health occupations
- Principles and techniques of clinical interviewing, diagnosis, and treatment
- Most current version of the Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
- The purposes, functions, and activities of various public and private health care entities, including advocacy groups, involved in mental health and substance abuse
- State of California laws and regulations governing mental health care workers, nurses, physicians, and other licensed health professionals
- The Lanterman-Petris-Short Act, the Short-Doyle Act, and other laws and regulations regarding the delivery of mental health services
- Psychiatric treatment modalities
- Current trends in prevention and treatment of mental illness and substance abuse
- Principles and techniques for on-site reviews and program evaluations
- Techniques of planning, evaluating, and organizing a training program
- Current social and economic factors and trends influencing community mental health and substance abuse care services
- Differing cultural, religious, and social attitudes about mental health and substance abuse
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Manage the operations of a 24-hour mental health treatment facility in the absence of higher-level administrators
- Ensure the welfare and safety of staff and patients in a high-risk setting
- Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the activities of mental health care programs and activities
- Supervise, directly and through subordinates, a multi-disciplinary staff, including licensed mental health care providers, physicians, nurses, support staff, and service providers under contract
- Integrate the Division of Mental Health's philosophical principles regarding consumer empowerment, family involvement, and cultural competency into patient care, treatment, and staff training
- Analyze and accurately evaluate management and organizational situations, and make recommendations for effective improvements
- Analyze and effectively evaluate the operations and services of mental health and substance abuse programs, including those of contract providers
- Analyze and interpret laws and regulations governing health services
- Monitor complex budget activities
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department staff, subordinates, and the staffs of public and private agencies and groups involved in health programs
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, and before large groups
- Make effective recommendations regarding staffing and other personnel matters
- Promote the integration of students, interns, and residents from various disciplines into the milieu
- Make effective decisions in crisis situations.
Possession of a current valid license issued by the State of California to practice as a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Marriage and Family Therapist, or Registered Nurse.ANDEither:
Two years of experience coordinating and/or supervising mental health program(s) which included experience in a direct care program, such as a mental health in-patient facility or mental health clinic.OR:
Two years of experience in the class of Mental Health Counselor, Psychiatric Nurse, Senior Mental Health Counselor, Senior Psychiatric Nurse, or Supervising Deputy Public Guardian/Conservator in Sacramento County service.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Positions in this class involve responsibility for direct patient care. All persons appointed to this class must possess and maintain a current valid license issued by the State of California as a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Marriage Family Therapist, or Registered Nurse.
Note: Failure to maintain a required license may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service rule 11.4 (q).
Persons appointed to this class will be subject to a confidential criminal history check and fingerprinting.General Qualifications
Specified positions may require possession of a Valid California Class C driver license. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Assist in patient ambulation and restraint in which holding, reaching, grasping, bending and lifting of 30 lbs or more may be required.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous