The Position This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 10/8/21, 2/11/22*
Under direction, enforces security; safeguards and protects County and/or contracted non-County property, buildings, and equipment. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Basic law enforcement principles and techniques
- Operation of communication equipment used in the course of the work, such as radios, telephone, pagers, and related systems
- Rules, regulations, codes, and laws related to the work
- Report writing methods and practices
- Basic first aid
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Maintain the security of building and grounds
- Practice the correct procedures of patrolling and directing traffic
- Administer basic first aid
- Effectively interview
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other law enforcement agencies
- Meet and deal with the public
- Understand and apply various rules and regulations
- Maintain self-control under stress
- Demonstrate the correct use and care of firearms
- Communicate using radio transmitting and receiving equipment
- Use electronic security screening equipment
- Prepare legible, correct, and accurate reports
Graduation from high school or satisfactory completion of an acceptable General Education Development (GED) Test.AND
Satisfactory completion of an introductory course of training prescribed by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) as described in Penal Code Section 832 (arrest and firearms training).AND
Satisfactory completion of a course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) in the carrying and use of a club or baton or possession of a valid and current baton certification issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Applicants for Sheriff's Security Officer must pass a criminal history and background check which may include a Computer Voice Stress Analyzer (CVSA) examination and contact of prior employers and personal references. Applicants will be fingerprinted for purposes of search of local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record. In addition, a classifiable set of fingerprints shall be furnished to the Department of Justice and to the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
Prior to appointment, applicant must successfully pass a medical examination and psychological screening.
Minimum Age Requirement: Be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment.
Uniforms: Incumbents must be willing to wear a designated Sheriff's Department uniform.
Driver's License: Positions in this class require possession of, or ability to obtain a valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, before date of appointment. Failure to maintain the appropriate driver license may constitute cause for disciplinary action.
Hours of Work: Incumbents in this class must be willing to work irregular hours, holidays, and weekends at various locations.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous