DESCRIPTION The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human Resources Department.
The Environmental Services Bureau of the Department of Public Works is seeking Motor Sweeper Operator Non-Career employees to assist the Street Sweeping/Clean Long Beach Division with the operation of street sweepers in Long Beach and surrounding areas. Non-Career employees are allowed a maximum of 1600 work hours available over a 12-month period, and are considered temporary, at-will employees who are not typically eligible for benefits. However, non-career employees may qualify for health coverage and sick leave accruals subject to applicable federal and state provisions.EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under direction, operates motor-driven street sweepers on assigned routes, which include streets, alleys, parking lots, and other paved surfaces; reads and follows route sheet s and follows operating procedures for street sweepers; uses a radio to communicate route progress, and to coordinate progress with Parking Control Checkers and debris-receiving dump-truck drivers; may remove debris that impedes the progress of street sweeping vehicles and/or equipment; dumps loads of sweeping debris onto trucks or into containers; maintains sweepers by making minor repairs and adjustments as necessary; conducts pre-trip and post-trip inspections: including checking fluid levels, tire pressures, lights, and windshield wipers; lubricates sweepers before each shift, and washes and services equipment after each shift; reports unusual or hazardous conditions; may operate debris-receiving vehicles and debris-handling equipment as necessary; and performs other related duties as required.REQUIREMENTS TO FILE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A valid California Class A or B Commercial Driver without restrictions that would limit the operation of a commercial vehicle weighing in excess of 26,000 pounds with air brakes.
- Recent paid experience, within three (3) years, in the safe and efficient operation of heavy equipment and/or mechanical or vacuum street sweepers;
- A clean driving record - Defined as having no more than two moving violations in the previous 12 months, and no convictions for Driving Under the Influence in the previous three years;
- Ability to safely operate heavy equipment and follow route instructions;
- Willingness to work various hours and/or shifts including weekends, holidays, overtime, or during emergencies, as required.
- Experience with street sweeping equipment.
Interested applicants must file an application online with the following attachment: copy of a valid California Class A or B Commercial Driver License.
Only qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the selection process which will include an interview by a selection panel which may include a performance exercise. Not all applicants will be contacted. Selected candidates will be required to pass a Department of Justice Live Scan background check and a job-related physical examination. This recruitment may close at any time or when open positions are filled.
This information is available in an alternative format by request to the Department of Public Works, Personnel Division, at (562) 570-4686. If you require an accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in any phase of the application process, please request when submitting your application or contact the Personnel Division at (562) 570-4686.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.