DESCRIPTION The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human Resources Department.
The Department of Public Works, Environmental Services Bureau, Street Sweeping/Clean LB Division is seeking part-time, Maintenance Assistants (Maintenance Assistant III Non-career) . These positions work at the Environmental Services Bureau Facility, 2929 E. Willow Street, Long Beach, 90806.
Non-career positions are part-time, seasonal, at-will positions that are not typically eligible for health/dental/vision benefits; however they may be eligible for sick leave benefits. Non-career employees are limited to 1600 work hours per service year and are not guaranteed a minimum number of work hours or duration of employment.
These positions are funded with Recovery Act funds and are limited term in nature (one-time funding). EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Collects large or bulky items throughout the City of Long Beach;
- Transports refuse to disposal sites according to prescribed dumping procedures;
- Follows all mandated safety procedures;
- Operates various light to medium street-cleaning equipment including blowers, vacuums, and other types of related equipment;
- Prepares simple reports by entering data into a personal computer;
- May be assigned to special events and special collections;
- May perform in a lead capacity over a routine maintenance crew including assigning, overseeing, training, and inspecting the work of subordinates;
- Performs other related duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A valid California Class C Driver License;
- Willingness to endure long periods of physical labor and to lift and move heavy objects (A medical exam by the City Occupational Health Officer is required to verify if an individual is physically capable of performing the essential functions of these positions.);
- Willingness to handle dumped items and clean up homeless encampments;
- Willingness to report to work for emergencies within thirty minutes at a location within the City limits;
- Willingness to work an irregular schedule, including various hours, shifts, weekends, holidays, and overtime, as necessary.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions;
- Ability to use hand and power tools used in skilled trades, maintenance, or custodial work;
- Ability provide excellent customer service and interact courteously with the public;
- Ability to use simple arithmetic and enter data into a personal computer accurately.
The application process may close at any time and without further notice. To be considered, applicants must submit an online application. Only qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the selection process which may include an interview by a selection panel . Not all applicants will be contacted. Selected candidates will be required to pass a Department of Justice Live Scan background check and a job-related physical examination.
This information is available in an alternative format by request to the Department of Public Works, Personnel Division, at (562) 570-4686. If you require an accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in any phase of the application process, please request when submitting your application or contact the Personnel Division at (562) 570-4686.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.Closing Date/Time: