Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering.
Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process. About the Position:
Performs a wide variety of diverse heavy equipment operator work in Public Works for one or more programs to assist in the better delivery of Solid Waste collection, disposal, bulk/brush trash and/or transfer services.Selection Process:
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Drug Testing
- Physical Examination
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- One year of experience operating sanitation, heavy truck, and/or construction equipment.
- Preferred: Qualified on tractor/skid steer, side loader, front loader, or loader and grappler through Solid Waste Services, depending on area of responsibility.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Residential Program: Must possess at time of hire a Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) with no air brake restriction and will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing as required by law.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Safely and effectively operates a refuse collection equipment to include tractor/skid steer, side loader, front loader and roll-off truck to collect a wide variety of containers, bins, and/or boxes for the section to which assigned.
- Maintains collection routes.
- Supports other section members by helping out other personnel with their job duties.
- Maintains accurate records of work performed, materials used, time and equipment used.
- Completes CDL pre-flight safety inspection on vehicles at the beginning and end of the work day.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions .
To view the entire job description, click here.
- Operate power-driven machinery.
- Sit for extended periods of time while driving a large sanitation truck maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding area.
- Reach overhead, bend, and stoop repeatedly; climb up and down ladders; work in rough, uneven alleys.
- Lift and move up to 60 pounds or more on a continuous basis.
- Visual , muscular, and manual dexterity to service equipment; use a rake, shovel, pitchfork, and/or broom; perform manual labor on an ongoing basis; operate equipment, two-way radio, common hand tools, such as hammer, saw, screwdriver; and computer.
- Work with paints, deodorizers, cleansers, or similar solutions.
- Seldom sedentary and includes walking or moving, pushing, bending, stooping, lifting, and reaching; sometimes involves climbing elevations.
- Exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant odors.
- Removal of dead animals from city right-of-way and streets.
- Operate trucks and equipment skillfully and safely.
- Travel to/from meetings and various city locations.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to in order to service equipment; use a rake, shovel, pitchfork, and/or broom; perform manual labor on an on-going basis: to operate equipment, two-way radio, common hand tools (such as hammer, saw, screwdriver, etc.), and computer.
- Work holidays, weekends, mandatory overtime, and special events as needed.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 10/31/2021 11:59 PM Arizona