Introduction NEW FOR SUMMER 2022! Temporary 'special duty pay' will be given to ALL Lifeguard/Instructors during the upcoming peak summer season!
- From Sunday, 5/22/2022 through Saturday, 8/27/2022, the minimum base pay for all Lifeguard/Instructors will increase from the current minimum of $12.90/hour to $14.50/hour.
- All existing Lifeguard/Instructors, as well as anyone hired during the peak summer season will be eligible to receive at least $14.50/hour (or more, depending on qualifications).
- Additional compensation over and above the base pay may be offered to candidates who demonstrate they have related experience over and above the minimum qualifications, so be sure to include all of your current and/or previous employers in the Work History section of your application. This could potentially result in an even higher starting salary!
- The maximum of the Lifeguard/Instructor salary range will remain unchanged at the existing rate of $18.35/hour.
- A ll new Lifeguard/Instructors hired between Sunday, 12/19/2021 and Sunday, 6/5/2022 will be eligible to receive any approved FY2021/2022 market adjustment(s).
- All Lifeguard/Instructors who meet the criteria for a FY2021/2022 performance evaluation will be eligible to receive any approved FY2021/2022 market adjustment(s) and any approved FY2021/2022 merit increase(s).
- All Lifeguard/Instructors who are hired between Sunday, 6/19/2022 and Sunday, 8/14/2022 and are still active in the personnel system on Sunday, 8/29/2022 will return to whatever their base pay rate would have been before the special duty pay went into effect, but after any approved FY2021/2022 market and/or merit increases have been applied.
- All Lifeguard/Instructors who are hired on or after Sunday, 8/29/2022 will receive a base pay rate of at least the minimum of the post-FY2021/2022 market adjustment salary range.
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
.About The Position
Lifeguards and swim instructors provide supervision and instruction to various age groups in swimming and diving activities, and ensure the safety of patrons in the swimming area. Lifeguards and swim instructors also may be assigned cashier duties. As the result of a City-mandated ordinance, lifeguards will be expected to wear facial coverings and/or masks while on duty.Please note the following:
- Lifeguards/Instructors must be at least 15 years of age at time of hire.
- Instructors must be at least 16 years of age at time of hire.
- The starting rate of pay is $12.90 per hour; additional compensation may be offered dependent upon years of experience and/or certifications.
- Due to this position being part-time, the classification is unclassified, meaning it is at-will and serves at the discretion of the City.
- This recruitment process will be used to fill part-time positions at all four aquatic centers as needed.
- Applicants who do not have a lifeguard certification are required to successfully complete the StarGuard Lifeguard Certification class to be eligible to apply. The City of Scottsdale offers this class and registration is required.
Effective November 1/2021, the City of Scottsdale is proud to announce that they will reimburse an individual for the full cost of the StarGuard Lifeguard Certification, so long as they meet the following criteria:
It is imperative to list all valid lifeguard certifications and licenses in the Certificates and Licenses field on the application; expired certifications and/or incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the hiring manager for consideration.Click here
- Valid lifeguarding certification must be issued by StarGuard and class taken with the City of Scottsdale.
- Certification must have been issued within the last 30 days.
- Must provide Active Net account name/number used to purchase lifeguarding class.
- An employee must be a quality performer for the first 90 consecutive days from date of hire.
for information on pool locations.
for information on becoming a lifeguard.Click here
to register for StarGuard Lifeguard Class and Starfish Swim Instructor Class.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and a skills assessment. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Fingerprinting (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Drug Screening
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- Lifeguard: Must be a minimum of 15 years of age at the time of hire.
- Instructor: Must be a minimum of 16 years of age at the time of hire.
- Must possess and maintain a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification prior to the start date.
- Current certifications must be shown at the time of interviews.
- The Parks, Recreation and Human Services Department enforces dress and appearance standards related to uniform, clothing, displaying tattoos, visible pierced body parts, hair color, and style.
- Lifeguard must possess current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/First Aid and American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard Certification.
- Instructor must possess a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification or Starfish Swim Instructor certification, current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/First Aid, and a current American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard Certification.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a division(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Operates cash register, accurately handles cash, follows prescribed cash handling procedures.
- Moves and stands to observe swimmers in the pool and on the pool deck for accidents occurring in the water, on the deck, or on the diving equipment.
- Enforces policies, rules, regulations, and ordinances governing the conduct of people using the swimming pool and pool deck area.
- Performs rescue and administers artificial respiration, CPR, and first aid.
- Demonstrates skills and helps class participants learn to swim.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click here to review the entire job description.The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
- Most work is performed in a swimming pool environment with occasional work performed in a fitness center, outdoor park, or office environment.
- Sit in stationary lifeguard chair for long periods of time and moves around on deck to make observations.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Observe swimmers in and around the pool.
- Lift dead weight usually exceeding 100 pounds.
- Exposure to the sun, pool chemicals, dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant odors.
- Work in chemically treated swimming pool water and in direct sunlight.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a daily basis.
- Lift arms above shoulder level.
: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous