Wildfire/Defensible Space Inspectors San Rafael Fire Department Full-Time/Temporary - NO BENEFITS $29.72 per hour
The City of San Rafael Fire Department is seeking to fill Seasonal Defensible Space Inspector positions (multiple positions available). The shifts for these positions will vary and are based on the assignments. Shifts will average 8-10 hours per day/4-5 days per week. These are temporary/seasonal positions and will receive NO City paid benefits.
Under supervision, Seasonal Defensible Space Inspectors perform a wide variety of fire prevention duties. This is a great opportunity to gain hands on experience working for one of the finest fire departments in the State. Defensible Space Inspectors are temporary positions for staffing during the peak wildland fire season (for 3-6 months in duration). Defensible Space Inspectors are expected to do sub-professional work in fire prevention or other related work. Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
Knowledge of :
- Perform defensible space inspections in accordance with San Rafael Municipal Code 4.12.
- Performs WUI and other Vegetation Hazard Inspections.
- Investigates public and referred public agency complaints.
- Increase awareness, knowledge and actions implemented by individuals and communities to reduce human loss and property damage from wildfires, such as defensible space and other fuels, reduction activities, fire prevention and fire safe building standards.
- Reviews, evaluates, processes, and maintains a variety of files related to fire prevention activities.
- Attends on occasion a variety of continuing education classes, seminars, and/or meetings; remain current on applicable codes, regulations, policies, and procedures.
Ability To :
- Principles, practices and techniques of fire prevention.
- Fire prevention codes regulations.
- Knowledge of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards
- Understanding and the ability to utilize the City Municipal Code
- Principles and techniques of fire inspection work is desirable
- English grammar, spelling, vocabulary, letter and report writing
- City's computer hardware and software program.
- Window's, Microsoft Office, Apple products such as iPhones and iPads, City Trakit Software, Emergency Reporting Systems, ArcGIS Collector App.
Minimum Qualifications Required ( please do not apply if you do not meet the requirements below ) :
- Work effectively in small teams or independently for extended periods of time.
- Read and interpret complex technical documents such as maps, diagrams, and textbooks.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Practice sound judgment.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Follow both verbal and written instructions.
- Engage effectively with the public and work harmoniously with the San Rafael Fire Department Team.
- Independently conduct fire (defensible space) inspections.
- Apply technical knowledge and follow proper inspection techniques.
- Be self-motivated, work independently to complete assigned duties and responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Interpret and explain fire prevention services, policies and procedures.
- Stay abreast of fire prevention services, policies and procedures.
- Work effectively with the public and representatives of other City Departments and agencies.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with stake holders to ensure that assigned fire prevention coordination efforts are successful.
- In accordance with State legal requirements, applicants must be at least 18 years old by the application filing deadline.
- Completion of twelfth (12th) grade and any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities in qualifying.
- MUST possess and maintain a Valid California Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record.
- Possession of one or more of the following is desirable:
Interview Process :
- A background in customer service or public service
- Completion of CA State Fire Marshal 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2B, & 2C courses
- ICC Certification Fire 77, CA, CF, & CP
The most qualified applicants will be invited to interview. Application and Selection Process :
Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. NOTE: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a background check/fingerprinting, and DMV check. To file an application on-line go to www.calopps.org
. Select "Member Agencies". Select "Northern Bay Area". Select "San Rafael".
Follow this link to apply for this position: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20092505 Reasonable Accommodation:
The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the oral board date.
Job PDF: Defensible Space Inspectors Job Announcement (07-2021).pdf
Contact email: email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Until filled