Code Enforcement Official I/II Level I: $4,637 - $5,636 per monthLevel II: $5,116 - $6,219 per month (Contract negotiations are currently in progress and will provide a salary increase effective FY 21/22) Plus excellent benefitsAPPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Friday, July 23, 2021, for first consideration THE CITY
is focused on enhancing our community members' quality of life through well-designed services and a positive workplace culture. San Rafael is the economic and cultural heart of Marin County, and its high quality of life is centered on its commercial districts, engaged neighborhoods, active lifestyle, and natural environment. San Rafael (population 59,000) is a full-service city with a city council/city manager form of government with 12 departments, more than 400 employees, and an annual budget of $100 million. The City's vision is to be a vibrant economic and cultural center reflective of its diversity. The City Council is engaged and seeks to strengthen the urban and commercial areas as well as sustain the beautiful natural environment.
San Rafael's Organizational culture framework is an initiative called "Together San Rafael."
City employees are our greatest asset, and we seek talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are creative, curious, and excited about a challenge. We are a results-driven team focused on the needs of community members. The Together San Rafael initiative is focused
on modernizing City services and increasing the engagement of employees. This initiative recognizes the interconnectedness of the customer and employee experience. THE POSITION:
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Code Enforcement Officer in our Community Development Department. Under immediate supervision, this position assists with the enforcement of all provisions of the San Rafael Municipal Code, performs code inspections, and enforces the zoning code.
This position is a flexibly staffed position and may be filled at either the I or II level, dependent upon the candidate's experience and qualifications. The distinguishing characteristics between each level is as follows: Code Enforcement Official I
: This class is distinguished from the Code Enforcement Officer II by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within the series including field investigations and field inspections. Since this class is typically used as a training class, employees may have only limited or no directly related work experience. Code Enforcement Official II:
This is the full journey level class. Employees at this level are distinguished from the Code Enforcement Officer I by the performance of the full range of duties as assigned. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. Positions in this class shift away from office and group fieldwork to more defined, independent work. The supervisor through the performance appraisal system measures movement from Code Enforcement Officer I to II. This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Exercises enforcement and abatement responsibilities under the land use regulations of the City's Municipal Codes.
- Conducts field investigations of reported complaints of municipal code, ordinance, and resolution violations.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Advises individuals of violations and methods of abatement.
- Seeks abatement (remedies) through voluntary compliance or informal administrative process or administrative hearings or judicial action.
- Conducts field inspections to uncover violations, gathers supporting evidence, inform individuals of code provisions and encourage compliance.
- Issue warnings and violation notices and see remedies through voluntary compliance or informal administrative process or administrative hearings or judicial action.
- Explains and interprets municipal codes, ordinances, and resolutions at the counter and in the field to City staff, to property owners and the generic public.
- Confers with other agencies and City departments, verbally and in writing, on the investigation and disposition of related violations.
- Prepares written staff reports and presents evidence at hearings before the Planning Commission, City Council, Hearing Officer, and/or Courts of law related to current code enforcement administrative and judicial proceedings.
- Complete forms, prepare reports, investigation narratives and related correspondence.
- Maintains case records, program statistics, and related materials.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position you must have the ability to:
- Correct English usage, spelling, and punctuation.
- Simple research and statistical methods.
- Interviewing techniques necessary to obtain investigative and personal data.
- Modern office policies, procedures, and equipment.
- Goals, objectives, and policies of the department.
- Correct written and spoken English.
- Technical aspects of Zoning and Code Enforcement.
- Supervisory techniques and methods.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Interpret and apply laws, ordinances, codes, and policies.
- Express oneself clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Work cooperatively with other departments, agencies, and citizens.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships.
- Lead and direct the work of others.
- Perform field inspections, investigations.
- Enforce applicable codes and ordinances.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge, abilities, and skill. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, abilities, and skill would be: Code Enforcement Official I:
Code Enforcement Official II:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Community College coursework in communications, law enforcement, planning, business, or public administration, or a related field preferred.
- One (1) year of full-time experience involving the enforcement and interpretation of administrative rules and regulations and direct public contact.
- Valid driver's license.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Three (3) years of full-time experience involving the enforcement and interpretation of administrative rules and regulations, two (2) years of which must be in a code inspection capacity.
- Valid driver's license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions and regularly works in inside environmental conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to video display and moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works with use of personal vehicle. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: City of San Rafael application is required.
Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org
. Select "Member Agencies". Select "San Rafael". Follow this link to apply via CalOpps:https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20136273 Reasonable Accommodation
: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at 415-485-3474 no later than seven (7) calendar days before the test date.
Job PDF: Code Enforcement Official I-II Job Announcement.pdf
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $4,236 - $5,681 per month DOQ/DOE
and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement:The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees- hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3-year average compensation.
- Health Insurance:Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $780.93; Employee+1 - $1,477.20; Employee+Family - $1,618.71; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance:$5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance:Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance:Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp: Participation is voluntary. City contributes 1%.
- Annual Leave:Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service/6.25 hours earned per month); 12 days per year; 11 holidays, 2 days personal leave per fiscal year and 2 floating holidays
- Bilingual Pay: Eligible to receive $150 per month for certified fluency.
- And more......
Contact email: email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Continuous