THIS POSTING MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME DEFINITION:
Under general supervision, to perform skilled work in repairing, overhauling and maintaining diesel and gasoline-powered automotive, road construction and maintenance equipment; and to do related work as required.
Positions in this class are experienced in all phases of automotive and equipment repair and may be assigned lead supervision over other skilled and unskilled personnel.
Road Maintenance Superintendent
This is not a supervisory class. However, incumbents may provide lead direction and work coordination for other staff.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- Examines and locates mechanical defects in a wide variety of automotive, road construction and maintenance equipment, including diesel and gasoline-powered trucks, tractors, motor graders, backhoes, loaders, rollers, sedans, and power tools;
- Makes major and minor mechanical repairs including engine tune-ups, brake relining, body and fender repair, electrical system repair, and radio installation;
- Disassembles, repairs, grinds, welds or replaces worn parts, fits new parts and adjusts engines, oil, water and fuel pumps, carburetors and fuel injectors, governors, starting motors, clutches, transmissions, differentials, brakes and steering gear;
- Repairs caterpillar tractors, checking and replacing rollers, pins and bushings; times and adjusts motors; replaces electrical wiring;
- Overhauls hydraulic lifts and steering assemblies on motor graders and tractors; r
- Repairs equipment bodies; does repair work in the field; does metal fabrication including use of gas and electrical welding equipment; operates a variety of vehicles including heavy-equipment; serves in a lead capacity over other assigned staff.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements Experience:
- One year of experience in the County of San Benito performing the duties of a Heavy Equipment Mechanic I.
- Two years of skilled experience in the repair and overhaul of a wide variety of diesel and gasoline-powered automotive, road construction and maintenance equipment.
Two years of responsible work experience as a journey level automotive mechanic, preferably including substantial experience in working on heavy construction equipment.
Possession of a Class A driving permit in conformance with California Department of Motor Vehicle licensing requirements and possession of a valid California Class A driver's license within six months from date of hire. Out-of-pocket expenses as they relate to pursuing a valid California Class A driver's license would be the responsibility of applicants or employees.
Incumbents transporting hazardous materials may be required to possess special endorsements.
- Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the testing, adjustment, repair and overhaul of automotive and road construction equipment; gas and electrical welding procedures;
- Theory and operation of gasoline and diesel-powered engines;
- Tools and equipment of the trade;
- Preventive maintenance inspection methods;
- Safety practices.
In accordance with California Government Code section 3100, et., seq., all County of San Benito employees are considered disaster service workers who may be required to report for duty, or remain on duty to address disaster service activities in the event of an emergency or disaster and are required to undertake an applicable loyalty oath.
- Demonstrate skill in the use of mechanical tools and equipment in the diagnosing and repair of heavy-duty road construction and maintenance equipment;
- Perform metal fabrication and repair using gas and electric welding equipment;
- Follow oral and written instructions; work cooperatively with those contacted in the course of work;
- Meet and maintain standards of physical endurance and agility.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous