Our Mission: Leading by example, we support and protect our community by encouraging responsibility and positive lasting change for a better future.
A career with Johnson County Government is more than just a job, it is an opportunity to serve a diverse and expanding community in meaningful ways. We challenge ourselves to be a different kind of government because we care deeply about our community and each other. Johnson County's Department of Corrections is looking for qualified applicants to fill the position of Shift Supervisor at the Juvenile Services Centerin Olathe, Kansas. TheShift Supervisorwill maintain safety and security for residents, staff and facility by ensuring that the policies and procedures of the facility are followed. Posting will remain open until filled
. Job duties include:
- Supervises assigned personnel and team members; communicates policies, procedures, rules and regulations to assigned staff; ensures that Officers adhere to departmental rules and regulations; assigns tasks and functions; ensures that Officers have and properly use their equipment; reviews reports and write-ups submitted by Officers for accuracy before filing or submitting to supervisor; completes performance appraisals on assigned personnel and team members; gathers information, reviews information and documents incidents used for disciplinary actions; assists in the training and development of staff by counseling them on the proper methods of dealing with clients in order to prevent or resolve problems using evidence based practices.
- Performs administrative duties; conducts, verifies, and/or assists in daily resident population counts, documents and takes action on discrepancies; conducts or verifies the daily inspection for cleanliness and damage; follows procedures required to initiate the correction of substandard conditions by completing work orders for needed repairs or replacements; directs personnel to complete cleaning duties; attends or conducts daily shift conferences concerned with keeping personnel informed about the status of the facility, personnel, and clients; keeps required records; briefs successor at change of shift; writes reports on resident incidents, lock downs, investigations, and repair requests; documents staff growth and development; may serve on resident disciplinary committee.
- Performs functions deriving from resident supervision; evaluates resident disciplinary problems after obtaining information from Officers; orders disciplinary action; ensures that the order is implemented; completes the accompanying documentation; supervises resident searches for contraband according to established procedures; assists officers during de-escalation interventions; directs and/or assists Officers during emergency or Officer assistance crises, evaluates the situation and coordinates the necessary action.
- In conjunction with departmental training staff, ensures training and development of staff; participates in the development, implementation, and presentation of In-Service training for staff; reviews new-hire checklists and identifies staff training needs and progress; directly provides mentoring, coaching and counseling to staff; identifies potential problems and their impact on staff morale.
- Responds immediately and directs staff during emergencies as directed by emergency procedure guidelines; provides leadership and supervision as incident command; dons protective equipment; restrains or restricts the actions of combative or disruptive clients using only necessary force; summons assistance from backup personnel; administers first aid or CPR; conducts follow-up and critical analysis of incidents.
- Ensures compliance with state and federal laws and regulations; takes initiative to propose new policies and revisions to policies.
- Models and supports the PBS behavior management matrix to include reviewing data from direct reports; conducts fidelity assessments of direct reports to develop staff proficiency and positively impact outcomes.
Job Requirements Minimum Job Requirements:
Associate's degree in Criminal Justice, Psychology, Sociology, Human Development or relevant field; three (3) years of Corrections Officer I/IA experience or equivalent experience working in a correctional, residential, therapeutic or relevant setting.
Incumbent must successfully pass a childcare security check, criminal history check; and possess a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
Applicant must submit to and pass a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and pass a physical ability test prior to employment.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Incumbent must have leadership skills, analytical skills, be highly organized and able to maintain confidentiality. Must also have attention to detail skills, ability to work effectively in a team environment and be proficient in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
Experience may substitute for education.Preferred Job Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Psychology, Sociology, Human Development or relevant field with two (2) years ofCorrections Officer II experience or equivalent experience leading, directing, supervising, or coordinating the work of others. Physical, Environmental, and Special Working Conditions:
Excessive standing and/or walking: 60 percent
Lifting: Successful completion of physical ability test which includes dragging up to 125 pounds and lifting 50 lbs.
Running in response to emergency situations; client restraint and self-defense training.
On call/stand-by work required.
Weather Essential job: Department and County Essential
Successful completion of physical ability test which includes dragging up to hundred and twenty five (125) pounds, lifting fifty (50) pounds, patting down residents, responding to emergency calls, walking up and down 20 stairs,and donning protective equipment.Effective August 23, 2021, the County requires mandatory, regular COVID-19 testing for all employees who do not report being fully vaccinated or who are fully vaccinated, but are unable to wear a mask. In order to be considered fully vaccinated, an employee must complete a vaccine attestation form and upload their vaccination record in our Oracle system.
Occasional (less than 5%)
Law and Public Safety