A career with Johnson County Government is more than just a job, it is an opportunity to serve a diverse and expanding community in meaningful ways. We challenge ourselves to be a different kind of government because we care deeply about our community and each other. Johnson County's Department of Technology and Innovation delivers innovative and reliable technology solutions and services to advance the objectives of County staff, elected officials, and the community in a cost effective and efficient manner. Database Administrators (DBA) plans computerized databases, including base definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines and protection. Ensures accuracy and completeness of data in master files and various support tools, such as base dictionaries. Establishes and maintains security and integrity controls. Formulates and monitors policies, procedures and standards relating to database management. Proposes and implements enhancements that will improve the performance and reliability of our systems. Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments. Although primary responsibilities will include Microsoft SQL Server, the successful candidate will also support MySQL and Oracle databases, both on premise and in the cloud. Johnson County believes in continuous improvement and is committed to training and empowering our staff.
- Leads in the optimization of the physical design to meet system performance and storage requirements and performs capacity planning; researches and develops solutions to enhance system usability and functionality.
- Controls access permissions and privileges.
- Leads the development, management and testing of back-up and recovery plans; ensures adherence of storage, archiving, and back-up recovery procedures.
- Installs, tests and deploys patches.
- Leads development and assists developer analysts in ongoing system application support by working closely with IT project managers, database programmers and web developers and performs troubleshooting.
- Communicates regularly with technical, applications and operations staff to ensure database integrity and security.
- Collaborates on the conceptual design of a planned database and refines the logical design for translation into a physical data model to include both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users.
- Leads the installation, testing and deployment of new databases and performs data conversion.
- Creates, maintains and implements database practices and standards to comply with applicable regulations; reviews, writes and maintains database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata).
Bachelor's degree in the following field(s) of study: Information Systems, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering and four years relevant experience as a software engineer, programmer or development analyst are required.
Experiencecan substitute for education. Education can substitute for experience.
Occasional (less than 5%)
Management, Administrative, Technology, and Financial Services