Minimum Qualifications Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses or Certifications:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus three (3) years of experience in equipment operations, including one (1) year of experience in specialized utility equipment.
- Current Texas Class A Commercial Driver License. May require specific endorsements.
- To be considered for employment in this position, applicants must comply with Department of Transportation Federal Regulations and the City of Austin Drug Policy.
Notes to Applicants
- Positions in the Lift Stations Division must be certified for Respiratory Protection and Confined Space Entry within six (6) months of employment.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more - click HERE for more information.
This position will support removal and transport of lime softening solids from water treatment plants to appropriate dump site and will report to one of the following locations based on business needs.
Ullrich Water Treatment Plant
1000 Forest View Drive, Austin, Texas 78746
Davis Water Treatment Plant
3500 W. 35th Street, Austin, Texas 78703
Handcox Water Treatment Plant
6800 N. FM 620, Austin, Texas 78732This position requires a Texas Class A Commercial Driver License with Tanker endorsement at time of hire.Driving Requirement:
This position will require travel and mobility between three plants and the disposal site. Applicants must be at least 18 years old, hold a current applicable driver's license, and have no more than six (6) points assessed on Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ). Please review the City of Austin Driving Standards
to assess your driving record. DRE will be verified through the Department of Public Safety. Job Offer is contingent on having a driving record that meets the City's Driver Record Evaluation Standards.
Candidate must pass a pre-employment Functional (FC) strength/agility test
(with or without accommodations) to be considered for this position.When completing the City of Austin employment application:
A detailed, complete employment application helps us to better evaluate your qualifications, and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
Please detail on the application any previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Provide each job title and employment dates for all jobs included on the application. Your work history should include the duties you performed, any supervisory or lead responsibilities, and any equipment and computer software used.
A résumé and cover letter may be submitted, but will not substitute for a complete employment application.If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in the operation of a standard/manual transmission tanker truck will be assessed with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
All Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite - including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises. Pay Range
$19.82 - $25.27 Hours Day Shift:
4:00 AM to 2:00 PM including weekends and rotating days off. This position requires employee to be able to work weekends, holidays, night shift, and emergency call-back assignments. Work hours are subject to change to accommodate business needs of the organization. Job Close Date
10/27/2021 Type of Posting
Austin Water Utility Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
See Notes to Applicants Preferred Qualifications
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Experience pulling tractor trailers
- Experience driving standard/manual transmission equipment
- Extensive driving experience on City roadways
- Ability to operate heavy equipment safely, productively and efficiently
Operates a variety of powered equipment, which may include tractor trailers, backhoes, front end loaders, dump trucks, lift trucks, scarabs, trommel screens, water trucks, bobcats, trenchers, vacuum trucks, sludge tank trucks, and cranes. Operates vehicles/equipment according to Federal/State requirements and City policies/procedures. Calculates figures, analyzes and interprets data, and prepares reports. Performs routine preventative maintenance on equipment by checking fluids, lubrication, adjusting belts, conducting pre-trip/post-trip safety inspections, and maintaining reports of maintenance activities. Recommends changes to methods, operations, sequences, and set procedures for work assigned. Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
None.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of basic diagnostic techniques and mechanical troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of methods and precautions for handling and transporting hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Knowledge of State and Federal requirements for operating commercial vehicles and specialized heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of City practice, policy, and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to operate commercial vehicles and specialized heavy equipment.
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to read and follow technical guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret meters, gauges, and control panels.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation from high school or equivalent plus three (3) years of experience in equipment operations, one (1) year of which includes specialized utility equipment. Do you meet these requirements?
* This position requires a Texas Class A Commercial Driver License. Do you have a Texas Class A Commercial Driver License or if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a Texas Class A Commercial Driver License by your hire date?
* Do you have a Tanker Endorsement?
* How many years of actual CDL driving experience do you have? List/describe only the vehicles you have driven using your CDL. Include which position you used the equipment in and the amount of time you have used them. If you do not have experience in this area, please list, N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
* How many years of experience do you have pulling tractor trailers?
- Less than one (1) year
- One (1) to three (3) years
- Three (3) to five (5) years
- More than five (5) years
* Describe your experience driving standard/manual transmission equipment. Be sure to include the type of equipment, the number of speeds, and your level of expertise.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your level of experience driving City roadways in a CDL vehicle.
(Open Ended Question)
* How many years of experience do you have operating heavy industrial equipment?
- Less than three (3) years
- Three (3) to five (5) years
- Five (5) to seven (7) years
- More than seven (7) years
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that external new hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three (3) moving violations or a total of six (6) Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
* This position involves work in the following conditions: continuous outdoor activity, frequent sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing, exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise, mechanical hazards, fume/odor hazards, toxic waste/material hazards, occasional kneeling, and crawling? Will you be able to fulfill these essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation?
* Can you work a 4 day, 10 hour shift as required by the department's business needs?
* This position requires an availability to work overnight shifts. Do you understand and agree to this requirement?
* This position will require you to be "on call" outside of the scheduled work day, and you may need to respond to "call back" assignments. Are you willing and able to fulfill an "on call" assignment in addition to the regular 40 hour work week?
* How did you first hear of this position?
- Career Fair or Job Fair
- Job Seeker Website (Indeed, Glassdoor, Dice, WorkinTexas.com, Careers in Government, etc.)
- College/University Alumni Recruitment (Handshake, job boards, etc.)
- Recruitment Postcard
- COA/AW Employee (please provide name below) or COA website
- Professional Association Job Board (AWWA, Women in Technology, Austin HR Management Association, TX Engineering Foundation, etc.))
* Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee's full name.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Cover Letter Resume