Licenses or Certifications:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus four (4) years of experience in the installation and repair of plumbing fixtures and systems including gas, water, and steam systems.
- Experience may substitute for Education up to four (4) years.
- State of Texas Master's Plumbing License.
- Texas Class C Operator's License or ability to obtain one within 90 calendar days of hire.
Notes to Applicants
- Moderate. Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD )
provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.
The purpose of this Plumber II position
is to lead repairs to plumbing systems in PARD buildings and park land, assist with irrigation issues and aquatics plumbing issues, perform new plumbing installations, and make recommendations for improvements and compliance.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Plans and leads plumbing projects.
- Performs complex plumbing installations and repairs.
- Installs repairs, replaces, and maintains plumbing systems using various types of pipes and fittings.
- Records data and maintains reports.
- Operates various power tools.
- Pulls permits and coordinates inspections.
- Provide leadership and guidance to others.
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Driving Requirement: This position requires a valid Texas class "C" Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
- Physical Requirements:
- Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to thirty-five (35) pounds.
- Work environment includes inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme temperatures, and hazards associated with equipment operation including fumes, oils, gases, and mists.
- Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
- Posting Guidelines: PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs. This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$21.85 - $27.86 per hour. Hours Work/Location Schedule Notes:
Job Close Date
- Monday - Friday, 6:30am - 3:00pm.
- May be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Ability to be on-call 24 hours.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
10/25/2021 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Central Maint. Complex 2525 S Lakeshore Blvd, Austin, 78741 Preferred Qualifications Preferred Experience:
- Employment experience installing/repairing wastewater systems.
- Employment experience repairing, installing, and sizing new water line systems.
- Employment experience working with a sewer machine to unclog drains.
- Employment experience interpreting and reading blueprints and specifications.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Basic computer skills utilizing Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
- Current/Valid Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Certification.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Plans and leads plumbing projects. Performs complex plumbing installations and repairs. Installs repairs, replaces, and maintains pipes and fittings. Records data and maintains reports. Operates various power tools. Pulls permits and coordinate inspections. Responsibilities
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of water heating system installation, maintenance and repair methods, tools, and materials.
- Knowledge of construction procedures sufficient to plan and execute plumbing projects.
- Knowledge of water and waste water pumps and lift stations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in planning an organizing.
- Ability to trace and analyze causes of plumbing and heating problems.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints.
- Ability to estimate time, materials, and costs of plumbing projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus four (4) years of experience in the installation and repair of plumbing fixtures and systems including gas, water, and steam systems.Experience may substitute for Education up to four (4) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* In reviewing the preferred qualifications section of this job posting, please describe in 500 words or less how you meet those preferred qualifications.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have a State of Texas Master's Plumbing License?
* Physical requirements of this position include continuous outdoor and indoor activity, frequent sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing, exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise, mechanical hazards, fume/odor hazards, toxic waste/material hazards, occasional kneeling, crawling, carrying and lifting up to thirty-five (35) pounds Are you able to meet the physical requirements of this position?
* Do you have a current, valid Texas Class C Drivers License or ability to obtain one within 90 calendar days of hire?
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple work sites throughout the work day?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* If selected for this position, the relevant work history on your application is used to determine your rate of pay. Your submission of a complete application is critical to the pay calculation. Your overall relevant experience from your employment application will be used in this calculation, not the resume or cover letter. Do you understand these statements?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents