The incumbent in this position assists in planning, organizing, and directing the activities of the Public Health Laboratory; acts as a diagnostic and reference resource for partner agencies; identifies communicable diseases and environmental problems; provides statistical data; and assists in maintaining the laboratory to meet State and Federal standards.
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, the ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong understanding of Public Health laboratory principles and processes and related activities.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Initiative and creativity with respect to identifying necessary new tests and platforms, and cultivating new partners and clients.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and a commitment to keeping Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement partners well informed.
- Ability to interface effectively with community partners, other local, state, and national labs, and lab associations.
- Understanding of laboratory budgeting and fiscal needs.
Experience and Education:
Possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited university in a chemical, physical, biological science or clinical laboratory science.
Possession of a Masters Degree in Medical Microbiology, Medical Bacteriology, Medical Virology, or Public Health Microbiology and four years of progressively responsible full- time experience in a Public Health or Medical Laboratory.
Must possess a Public Health Microbiologist certificate issued by the California State Department of Health, Laboratory Field Services.
To learn more about this classification, including examples of duties and required knowledge, skills, and abilities, please visit:
This position is an “at-will” senior management position and is exempt from the civil service; incumbents serve at the discretion of the appointing authority.
Closing Date/Time: Open Until Filled
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.