The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens. The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking a full time English/Burmese Interpreter/Translator providing support to the Community Development Services Division. This is an unclassified position in state government (PIN# 34004124) in Oklahoma City, OK. OSDH offers a comprehensive Benefits Package
, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents . For more information about the benefit allowance [ click here
] . The annual salary for this position is up to $45,000.00 based on education and experience. Position Description:
Provide interpreter and translation services to Limited English Proficiency (LEP) clients as mandated by Title VI. Services are provided within OSDH Central Office as well as county health departments with LEP clients. In order to provide the services outlined by the federal grant, the Community Development Services must provide interpreter/translator services to ensure the implementation of grant objectives, activities and deliverables at the state and local levels. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Support OSDH in Title VI mandated requirements to provide Limited English Proficient (LEP) clients/patients/customers access to public health resources.
• Facilitates access to services for LEP clients through the utilization of medical terminology to translate documents, correspondence, forms, questionnaires (both written and verbal), pamphlets and other materials from English to Burmese or vice-versa.
• Interpret for clients/staff in order to communicate public health information and/or personal medical/health information. Interprets either in person or via the telephone.
• Contributes to the organizations overall strategic efforts in the elimination of health disparities through the development of partnerships in minority populations.
• Be a resource for LEP clients by recognizing indications of problems, gathering information, analyzing situations, reaching conclusions, working with others, and initiating appropriate action.
Contributes to the organizations overall strategic efforts in the elimination of health disparities through the development of partnerships in minority populations.
• Establish linkages and participate in Office of Minority Health & Health Equity (OMHHE) partners meetings, and provide language and translation assistance as needed.
• Be a resource for LEP clients by recognizing indications of problems, gathering information, analyzing situations, reaching conclusions, working with others, and initiating appropriate action. Other Duties
Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior. Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of interpreter's role, ethics, skills, advocacy allowed in public health, business and community settings in both English and Burmese. Skills in interpreting, advocating for clients, role-playing, and ethical decision making. Skill is required to operate office machines including computers/PCs. Ability to read, write and speak English and Burmese.
Knowledge of and ability to apply English and Burmese language and grammar rule in order to properly translate and interpret.
Knowledge of cultural competency skills to incorporate strategies for interacting with people from diverse backgrounds. Physical Demands and Work Environment
Work is typically performed in an office setting with a climate controlled settings and exposure to moderate noise level. While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to talk, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. This position requires long period of sitting and daily use of computer and phone.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Experience translating and/or interpreting English to Burmese and Burmese to English. NOTES REQUIREMENTS:
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted. Conclusion Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous