The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens. The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries. This position will cover multiple counties, the duty station will be determined upon hire.
Counties Covered: Atoka, Bryan, Choctaw, Coal, Latimer, Leflore, McCurtain, Pittsburg and Pushmataha.
OSDH is seeking full-time Adolescent Health Specialist providing support to county health departments. This is an unclassified position (PIN #34003477) in state government. OSDH offers a comprehensive Benefits Package
, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents . For more information about the benefit allowance [ click here
] . The annual salary for this position is up to $55,028.60 based on education and experience.
This position functions under the supervision of the county health department with additional oversight from the CAH Healthy Youth Consultant. Duties include: Providing age-appropriate, evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention curriculum in school settings, facilitating Public Health Youth Councils (PHYCs), and serving as an expert and resource for local communities on adolescent health issues. Position Responsibilities/Essential Functions
• Implement, with fidelity, evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention (TPP) curricula in rural counties with teen birth rates higher than the national average.
• Develop and provide presentations on additional adolescent health topics such as HIV/STI prevention, healthy relationships (including LGBTQ+ relationships), consent, suicide prevention, distracted driving, internet safety, and others.
• Work closely with communities, families, tribes, schools, and other youth-serving organizations (YSOs) to ensure education and outreach activities are provided to/about adolescents.
• Establish and facilitate PHYCs in the region.
• Assist in program development and participate in technical assistance site visits.
• Collaborate with Maternal and Child Health (MCH) to review project activities, assess project needs, and plan future activities, as well as to complete project reports and evaluation activities. Other Duties
• Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
• Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers. Valued Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of public health problems, specifically related to adolescent health issues, public health principles and practices, community health organization, and the Positive Youth Development (PYD) framework. Required abilities and/or skills include and are not limited to public speaking; working with diverse groups of youth and adults in school and community settings; delivering evidence-based curriculum with fidelity; organizing communities and directing groups on adolescent health issues; preparing a variety of educational materials such as brochures, oral presentations, articles for publications, newsletters, and social media posts; to use applicable software and/or tools for data collection and entry; and to coordinate and carry out adolescent health activities. Ability is required to develop, plan, and implement an effective adolescent health program and to provide education and training. Physical Demands and Work Environment
Combination of office, classroom, community organization meetings, teaching evidenced-based curricula, delivering presentations, and training teachers and other staff. Varied activities including sitting, walking, stooping, lifting, bending, pushing, and reaching. Use of N-95 respirator is required.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor's degree in nursing, health education, community health or public health with one year of experience in health education and/or working with adolescents. NOTES REQUIREMENTS:
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted. Conclusion Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous