About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by September 30, 2021. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment.
Denver Parks & Recreation offers Arts & Culture programming throughout the year at many of our 30 recreation centers. We offer a wide variety of classes in areas such as: fine arts, pottery, ceramics, sewing, music, dance, creative writing and a wide range of crafts and creative early childhood programming (18 month - 5 years), youth programming (6-18), and adult programs (18+). Our Recreation Instructors lead classes of 4-12 participants through a preset schedule of weekly sessions to become familiar and confident in the topic area of choice. Our programming offers our Instructors the opportunity to teach a variety of age groups in recreation centers throughout the city.
Our Arts & Culture Department is looking to hire Preschool Arts and Crafts Instructors with a passion for inspiring children through hands-on art. This is a fun way to help provide opportunities for children to use their imagination and creativity to develop fine motor skills while learning the basic principles of art such as colors, shapes, and texture.
In this position, you will:
- Create, plan, implement, and instruct arts and craft classes for preschool aged youth
- Create supply list for classes
- Setup before, and breakdown/cleanup after each class
- Respond to class-specific inquiries from participants and community members
- Collect and report feedback to the Arts & Culture Program Coordinators for future programming improvement
- Other duties as assigned
We are looking for Instructors who can work 15-20 hours per week at a variety of times, days, and locations.
This is an on-call position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules. In addition to class time instructors receive additional paid hours for planning, set-up, and break down time.About You
Our Instructors must have a passion for and knowledge of arts & culture activities and should possess strong skills in communication and organization. We are looking for candidates who are enthusiastic about working with children, connecting communities, and fostering creativity.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will possess one or more of the following:
- Associate degree or higher in a creative arts field (such as fine arts, crafts, performing arts, music, etc.) or childhood education/development or a directly related field
- Have taken classes in a creative arts field such as, fine arts, crafts, drawing, painting, or a directly related field
- Experience working with early childhood education
- Proficiency in one or more of the following arts & culture elements: crafts, visual art, painting, drawing, or clay-molding
- Prior experience planning, managing, or coordinating creative arts programming
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification
- Bilingual skills preferred, but not required
- Ability to travel to Denver's 30 recreation centers throughout the city as needed
We realize that your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you have the following minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education Requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
- Experience Requirement: One (1) year of experience in assisting in the operation and instruction of organized recreation activities
- Education and Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
- Licensures/Certification: Requires certification in CPR and First Aid within 6 months of date of hire. Requires a valid driver's license at the time of application. (Employees may be eligible to drive department/city vehicles for transportation and subject to motor vehicle record check and required to pass a city sponsored driver safety training course.) Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of continued employment
CA2583 Recreation Instructor
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$15.00 - $22.50
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here