EPIDEMIOLOGY AND LABORATORY CAPACITY FOR PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES (ELC) PROGRAM MANAGER (ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER II)
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.0% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 0.5% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public
for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST)
on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open
eligible list to fill current and future vacancies within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
Please note that this position will be filled as limited term.
(Limited-term positions are funded for a limited period of time, however, incumbents receive regular benefits e.g. health benefits, pension, vacation and sick leave accruals etc.) THE AGENCY
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven (7) service areas - Administrative and Financial, Strategy and Special Projects, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Office of Care Coordination, Medical Health and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. THE OPPORTUNITY
Through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Prevention and Control of Emerging Infectious Diseases (ELC) Enhancing Detection Expansion funds are made available to increase Public Health Laboratory (PHL) capacity to expand capacity to quickly, accurately and safely test for SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 and build capacity to test for other pathogens with potential for broad community spread. The ELC Program Manager will be responsible for ensuring the laboratory meets commitments to the state for strengthening laboratory testing and preparing for widespread infectious disease outbreaks going forward as outlined in the ELC grant. The Orange County Public Health Lab (OCPHL) must adhere to local, state and federal regulatory requirements for clinical, bioterrorism and environmental laboratory testing.
The ELC Program Manager (Administrative Manager II) will manage the ELC-funded projects and ensure that the deliverables of the ELC grant are met. The ELC Program Manager will also oversee the maintenance of laboratory information systems for data management and analysis, reporting, and revenue recovery. Additionally, the ELC Program Manager will ensure that appropriate safety equipment, practices, and training are provided to maintain a safe working environment.
Additional duties include, but are not limited to:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Assist the PHL Director and Laboratory Manager in planning, organizing, and directing laboratory operations and in the administration and implementation of laboratory objectives, policies, and procedures to ensure effective and efficient services that are in compliance with established local, state and federal regulations, with a focus in quality assurance and safety
- Ensure OCPHL is meeting ELC grant deliverables in a timely manner, including tracking of expenditure
- Plan and implement new informatics workflows within the laboratory. This includes ELC-funded upgrades to laboratory operations (inventory management and temperature monitoring systems) and to the laboratory information system (Electronic Test Order and Results Portal, molecular workflow application)
- Coordinate Public Health Laboratory operations and services with the operations of other local, state, Public Health programs to effectively meet ELC grant deliverables
- Under the supervision of the Laboratory Director, develop and implement Quality Assurance, Quality Improvement and Safety policies and procedures
The ideal candidate will possess a master's degree or higher in Biology, Microbiology, Public Health, Medical Microbiology, Epidemiology, or a closely related field. Prior laboratory experience is preferred. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge, experience, skills and abilities in the following core competencies:
- Technical Knowledge | Technical Experience
- General understanding of laboratory workflows and laboratory information systems
- Laws, regulations and standards pertaining to public health laboratories
- Familiarity with supplies, equipment and terminology used in the laboratory
- Familiarity with laboratory safety and quality assurance practices
- Planning and implementing new informatics workflows within the laboratory
- Leading a team of subject matter experts within the laboratory to complete projects
- Assisting the PHL Director and Laboratory Manager in the development, implementation, and assessment of long-term and short-term goals
- Conducting studies and analyzing reports and making recommendations concerning laboratory staffing, organization, budget, and workflow
- Ensuring a secure and protected working environment that meets or exceeds State and Federal requirements and guidelines
- Ensuring a safe working environment to prevent workplace hazards
- Building and maintaining productive relationships with various levels of management, peers, staff and community partners
- Integrating with the larger organizational team given the role required, sharing resources, responding to requests from other parts of the organization, and supporting the agency's agenda
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Administrative Manager II
classification as well as the physical and mental requirements and the environmental and working conditions. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening(Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. Eligible List
Once the assessment process has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID 19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with any State or County Public Health Orders which may apply as follows:
- Workers who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, may be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, may be required to provide proof of vaccination . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted worker will be required to mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Order. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.Email Notification Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Trish Fallon
at (714) 834-4635 or PFallon@ochca.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous