COMPREHENSIVE CARE LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE
Juvenile Health Services (JHS)
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 0.5% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public and will remain open for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59p.m. (PST) on the day the County's needs are met.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange
, Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal, individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven services areas - Administrative and Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Office of Care Coordination, Medical Health, Strategy & Special Projects and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. THE OPPORTUNITYCorrectional Health Services
is recruiting for a Comprehensive Care Licensed Vocational Nurse (CCLVN) to provide basic health care to detained youth and/or the emergency shelter home population within the Juvenile Health Services (JHS)
program. The JHS program provides medical, nursing, dental and pharmaceutical services to youth housed in the Probation Department's three Juvenile facilities and Social Services Agency's Orangewood Children and Family Center (OCFC). JHS is a 24 hour, 7 days a week operation. Incumbents must be able to work days, weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays. Nursing personnel work 8-hour shifts, alternating weekends and holidays.
The CCLVN is responsible for the following:
- Medication administration to multiple housing units/cottages in Juvenile Hall or OCFC
- Immunization administration and familiarity with CAIR 2, VFC and EZIZ programs
- Assist clinicians with MD sick calls and physical exams, and facilitate telehealth Visits
- Use of electronic health records (EHR) to accurately enter and document data
- Perform blood glucose monitoring and administer insulin
- Prepare and collect lab specimens, including blood, urine, saliva, stool and nasal/pharyngeal samples
- Perform EKG (electrocardiogram), visual acuity, vital signs, audiometric screens, PPD (tuberculosis screening) placement and other ambulatory clinic procedures and screening exams
- Respond to medical and psychiatric emergencies
- Recognize normal vs. abnormal observations and report pertinent observations to on duty registered nurses
- Conduct and maintain inventory and adequate stock of medication and supplies for assigned work area
- Maintain assigned work area on a daily basis and ensure that work areas are inspection ready at all times
- Participate in conferences, committee meetings, staff development and education programs to increase or maintain professional competency
- May perform other job related duties as needed
The ideal candidate will have one (1) or more years of experience providing nursing/medical care to pediatrics and adolescents, and recent acute care experience. The ideal candidate will also possess the knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrate the following competencies:
- Caring for clients with medical and mental health diagnosis
- Working in acute urgent care or ambulatory clinic type of setting
- Gathering clinical nursing data accurately (e.g. vital signs, health history)
- Recognizing and reporting drug reactions/interactions to registered nurse or clinician
- Obtaining and documenting vital signs and observations
- Performing or assisting in wound care
- Following sterile instrument processing protocol
- Recognizing emergent health needs and refer to registered nurse or clinician
- Using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other healthcare related systems (Electronic Health Records) proficiently
Communication, Collaboration, and Initiative
- Effectively explaining the treatments or procedures to clients
- Evaluating the effectiveness of client's prescribed medication(s) in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team
- Collaborating with coworkers as part of the team
Adaptability, Compassion, Critical Thinking, and Safety
- Working effectively and maintaining a positive attitude in a changing and stressful environment, and ability to make adjustments as necessary
- Developing resiliency by maintaining energy, tenacity , and compassionate care to fulfill correctional nursing responsibilities
- Reducing liability risks by being in compliance with Federal and State laws and mandated standards in accordance with Title 15, Title 22, and National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) Standards.
- Being aware of any environmental hazards while working inside secured facilities
- Being alert and aware of personal safety and security while providing care and/or treatment to unstable or unpredictable clients
- Incumbents must NOT have felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes; completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.)
- Correctional Health Services are a 24 hour, 7 day a week facilities, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the CCLVN classification, including physical, mental and environmental conditions. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All applicants will be notified via e-mail of their status in the process. Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses, and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here (Download PDF reader)
to review the policy. Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step. Online Assessment | Written Exam
Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments. Candidates will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the more qualified candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Eligible List : Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID 19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with any State or County Public Health Orders which may apply as follows:
- Workers who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, may be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, may be required to provide proof of vaccination . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted worker will be required to mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Order. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.EMAIL NOTIFICATIONEmail
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Iolani Kleen
at (714) 834-7336 or IKleen@ochca.com
.Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous