ASSISTANT MEDICAL DIRECTOR
(Administrative Manager III - Specialty)
This recruitment is open to the public
and will remain open for a minimum of five (5) business days. This recruitment will be open on a continuous basis and will close at 11:59p.m. (PST)
on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment will establish an open
eligible list. This list will be used to fill current and future Administrative Manager III positions with this specialty. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
This position is scheduled to receive a salary range increase on the following date:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.0% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following date:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 0.5% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange
, Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of six (6) service areas - Administrative & Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Office of Care Coordination, Regulatory & Medical Services, and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community.CORRECTIONAL HEALTH SERVICES Adult Correctional Health Services
provides medical, dental, nursing, mental health and pharmaceutical services to all adult inmates in the County's five correctional facilities and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care.THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Assistant Medical Director in Correctional Health Services (CHS) is responsible for basic and emergency health services for individuals incarcerated in the adult correctional facilities. The position will serve as the backup for the CHS Medical Director by fulfilling the Director's duties in their absence.
Additional responsibilities of the Assistant Medical Director will include but are not limited to:
Must possess a valid Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration for Controlled Substances Level II, III, IV and National Provider Identifier (NPI) number.
- Developing policy and clinical practice guidelines for CHS
- Clinical supervision of all medical and non-professional CHS staff, including direct supervision of Correctional Physicians (I/II/III), contracted Physicians, Dental staff, Psychiatrists, Nurse Practitioners and Administrative Managers
- Directing clinical care of inmates in the County jail systems
- Reviewing clinical cases as required by contractual agreements
- Providing direct patient care
- Participating in committees such as Quality Management Program, Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Death Review, Critical Incident Review, Correctional Health Operations and the Accreditation Committee.
The incumbent must possess a valid Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000 (DATA 2000) Waiver to prescribe Buprenorphine by date of hire .DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The ideal candidate will possess a valid Physician's and Surgeon's License issued by the Medical Board of California or a Physician's and Surgeon's License issued by the Osteopathic Medical Board of California and a valid Board Certification in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine or Psychiatry. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrates the following competencies:Knowledge of:
Medical and Technical Expertise:
- California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 15 Minimum Standard for Local Adult Facilities
- Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act Designated Facilities statutes and regulations
- Involuntary commitment procedures within the criminal justice system
- Correctional medical and mental health delivery system or similar health care systems
- Community standards of healthcare
- National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) accreditation standards
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines
- Microsoft Office Suite and Electronic Health Record systems (e.g. EHR system)
Leadership and Management:
- Performing and overseeing the provision of health care delivery
- Planning and preparing medical protocols and/or guidelines
- Monitoring and evaluating subspecialty and hospital utilization through managed care concept
- Developing and implementing solutions to improve outcomes and delivery of care, efficiencies, policies and procedures and seek best practices
- Testifying competently in court
Innovation and Collaboration:
- Leading and managing professional staff and forward focused teams by inspiring, motivating and empowering them to achieve CHS goals
- Coordinating the work of professional employees, establishing expectations and monitoring their work performance and activities
- Maintaining and enhancing quality patient care and holding staff accountable for quality of services
- Supervising and evaluating staff work performance
Interpersonal Skills and Communication:
- Bringing creative and innovative ideas to enhance and build upon the collaborative and solid work environment that already exists within CHS
- Fostering a collaborative approach across all service areas as well as contract agencies, Orange County Sheriff's Department (OCSD), Department of Justice (DOJ) and other stakeholders to support compliance and quality improvement efforts
Composure and Safety:
- Developing and delivering effective written and verbal communication with various audiences, i.e. Board of Supervisors, executive management, and other public entities
- Identifying and resolving any issues and problems through good judgment and decision making utilizing technical expertise
- Maintaining a calm demeanor even under ambiguous or stressful circumstances
- Being alert and mindful of personal safety and security while at work
- Being aware of any environmental hazards while working inside the jail facility
- Incumbents must be in possession of a valid DATA Waiver to prescribe Buprenorphine by date of appointment
- Incumbents must not have or had any disciplinary actions or restrictions placed on medical licensure
- Applicants must have no felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass a background investigation and maintain clearance to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes: completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use, credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.)
- The Correctional facilities are operated 24 hours, 7 days a week; therefore, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift, holidays and provide on-call availability, as needed
- Incumbents are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation prior to an offer and acceptance of employment
For detailed information on Administrative Manager III-Specialty
minimum qualifications, including Physical and Mental Requirements click here. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Will be required to work in a locked facility with adult inmates and/or ICE detainees, and/or youth who are in protective custody/incarcerated, who have multiple and complex health, and social and psycho-social needs. May work with inmates, ICE detainees, or youth who have communicable diseases and/or behavioral health issues; may be assigned to a variety of work shifts, as the correctional facilities are operated 24 hours, 7 days a week and coverage is essential. The environment can be noisy and at times chaotic; may be exposed to profanity and/or anti-social behavior. There is a "No Negotiations for Hostage" policy with the Orange County Jail.RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the qualified candidates for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Structured Oral Interview | SOI (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure. Eligible List:
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID 19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with any State or County Public Health Orders which may apply as follows:
- Workers who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, may be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, may be required to provide proof of vaccination . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted worker will be required to mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Order. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Alfredo Salazar
at (714) 834-5304 or Alsalazar@ochca.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.