DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES Division:
DHHS - PUBLIC AND BEHAVIORAL HEALTH Business Unit:
HR-SO NEV ADULT MENTAL HEALTH Work Type:
PERMANENT Pay Grade:
GRADE 30 Salary Range:
$41,572.08 - $61,011.36 Fulltime/Parttime:
Full Time Recruiter:
DARRELL MORLAN Phone:
775 684-0126 Email:
Forensic Specialists perform a combination of security and client care duties in a secure mental health facility for treatment/evaluation of the mentally and/or medically ill offender and/or offenders whose competency requires evaluation. Incumbents perform in a trainee capacity and acquire the knowledge, skills and abilities required in this occupation.
The position supports Stein Hospital. This hospital, which serves Southern Nevada, is a secure forensic facility providing inpatient forensic services for persons who are court committed. The Forensic Specialist 1 position is the entry level in the Forensic Specialist series, and progression to Forensic Specialist 2 and 3 will automatically occur with the recommendation of the appointing authority when minimum qualifications are met and incumbent is performing satisfactorily. Forensic Specialists at Stein Hospital perform mental health and security duties with an emphasis on providing therapeutic treatment for clients in order to evaluate and attain competency to stand trial for criminal charges. Forensic Specialists also prepare clients for competency hearings and facilitate groups regarding legal processes; assist clients in understanding the nature and seriousness of charges that have been filed; assist assigned clients with eating, bathing, shaving, oral hygiene, grooming, dressing and other basic activities of daily living; assist in transportation, movement and ambulation; and perform other duties as assigned.
Please note that a physical fitness evaluation will be conducted prior to being invited to interview for these positions. Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the physical requirements for a Category 3 Peace Officer through the Nevada P.O.S.T. Academy website.
**Please note: if you are trying to qualify through college coursework, you must attach a copy of your transcripts.**
Graduation from high school or equivalent education and two years of general work experience, one year which was in a mental health, medical, correctional, law enforcement or related setting; OR one year of college coursework which included courses in health, behavioral science or criminal justice and one year of general work experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience as described above.
Position Description (cont.)
Through a team approach, SNAMHS provides innovative inpatient and outpatient mental health services for the Southern Nevada community. SNAMHS is an exciting place to work with emphasis on utilizing the recovery model, developing innovative programs, increasing consumer and family involvement, educating the public through a variety of activities, and implementing a best practices clinical program. INFORMATIONAL NOTES:
∗ Applicants must meet minimum standards for appointment as a peace officer as established in the Nevada Revised Statutes and Nevada Administrative Code.
∗ Incumbents employed at either the Forensic Specialist I or Forensic Specialist II must successfully complete the required level of P.O.S.T. certification training as required by law in order to progress to the next level in the series.
***THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME BASED ON THE AMOUNT OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.*** To see full Class Specifications visit: http://hr.nv.gov/Resources/ClassSpecs/Class_Specifications-13_0/
This recruitment may close at any time based on the number of applications received. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages. Nearest Major Market:
- A State of Nevada/FBI background check will be required of the selected applicant.
- A pre-employment criminal history check and fingerprinting are required. Persons offered employment in this position will be required to pay for these items.
- A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
- Per NAC 284.317, applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, this position has been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in this position must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances.
- Working overtime on short notice, weekends and/or holidays is required.
- Some applicants must successfully complete a pre-employment physical and be free of active tuberculosis.
- Applicants must meet current Peace Officer Standards & Training (P.O.S.T.) requirements as established in the Nevada Revised Statutes and Nevada Administrative Code, in order to attend a law enforcement academy and become P.O.S.T. certified.
- Incumbents are required to obtain and maintain certification as a mental health technician per NRS 433.279 as a condition of continuing employment.
- Some positions require CPR certification at the time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.