DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES Division:
DHHS - DIVISION OF CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES Business Unit:
HR-NEVADA YOUTH TRAINING CTR Work Type:
PERMANENT Pay Grade:
GRADE 35 Salary Range:
$51,281.28 - $76,170.24 Recruiter:
DARRELL MORLAN Phone:
775 684-0126 Email:
Under general supervision, Academic Teachers counsel, evaluate and instruct adjudicated juveniles who are assigned to a youth training facility; develop curriculum and individualized educational programs; monitor student progress; participate in behavior modification programs and the treatment team process; and develop and present in-service training for staff members. Incumbents possess a degree of knowledge and proficiency sufficient to perform work independently with little or no additional training.
The Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS) is seeking an Academic Teacher to work at Independence High School located on the campus of the Nevada Youth Training Center (NYTC) in Elko, NV. NYTC is a 48-bed staff secure facility for male youth ages 12 to 18. Located in Northern Nevada, Elko is a growing, progressive small city with an exceptional quality of life. With some of the most majestic views in Nevada and an abundance of recreational activities, Elko is an outdoor paradise! Under the general direction of the Principal, the teacher will notify the Principal of each student the teacher believes is inappropriately assigned to class after assessing student goals. The teacher will instruct students in areas where he/she is certified. Class work will be assigned to students upon class entry. The teacher will use a variety of approved methods of instruction to insure a well-rounded learning experience. The teacher will assign work appropriate to the subject in accord with the state course of studies. The assigned work will qualify the students for a Nevada High School diploma. Curriculum will include remedial instruction and the teaching of higher order thinking skills using instructional materials, methods, and activities which will contribute to the student's goals. The teacher will have student assignments and appropriate materials organized to teach all classes assigned.
Position Description (cont.)
Lesson plans/or student assignments will be maintained and provide for individual work at least one week in advance. The quantity of work to be learned or performed depends on the student's needs and their goals. If the student is not achieving at a satisfactory rate, the teacher shall notify the cottage by appropriate documentation. Ongoing evaluation will be made of students who are two or more weeks behind in assignments or failing to work satisfactorily. Students will be reported on the weekly Deficiency List and on Treatment Team Reports. This is a permanent position open for candidates with a valid Nevada secondary teaching license and an endorsement in Math. This is a full-time position with an anticipated work schedule of 8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday that includes a variable work agreement with overtime after 40 hours per week.
The State of Nevada and DCFS offer an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance, participation in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), accrual of 15 days of annual and 15 days of sick leave, 11 paid holidays and no city, county, state or social security tax! To see full Class Specifications visit: http://hr.nv.gov/Resources/ClassSpecs/Class_Specifications-5_0//
The Examination Application Evaluation Exam
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and completion of the requirements of the Nevada State Board of Education for a teacher's secondary license.
- The exam will consist of an application evaluation. It is essential that applications include detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. The most qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview. The hiring agency may require specific skills related testing as part of the interviewing process.
- Possession of a valid Nevada teacher's secondary license with an endorsement in the relevant field of teaching is required at the time of appointment.
- A valid driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, positions in this class have been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in these positions must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances.
- A pre-employment criminal history check and fingerprinting are required. Persons offered employment in this position will be required to pay for fingerprinting.
- A State of Nevada/FBI background check will be required of the selected applicant.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages.
Nearest Major Market: Elko