Hours worked per week may vary
This is an excellent part-time job opportunity for an individual to provide staff support and customer service as a Librarian Substitute to patrons of the City of Huntington Beach libraries within the Community & Library Services Department.
The Library Division
includes Administration, Facilities Rentals & Maintenance, Outreach & Training Services, Programs & Youth Services, Public & Information Services, and Technology & Collection Management.
The ideal candidate
must possess a Master's Degree in Library Science, effective and cooperative communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to relate to a diverse group of people. The incumbent is a self-starter who can work autonomously and take initiative on projects, works well and collaborates with a team, comfortable with library technology, and has the ability to train other staff on library services and technology. This recruitment may close at any time, and will close when the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received.This is a Non-Perm, Part-Time position.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 â€" June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7Â½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
When assigned to Youth Services:
- Provides assistance to and advises patrons, including children, young adults, adults and senior citizens in the effective use of Library collection, facilities and services; demonstrates the use of library resources, tools, equipment, and electronic reference sources; assists with digital downloads.
- Conducts effective reference interviews to assess and satisfy customer information needs.
- Answers readers' advisory and general reference questions from telephone, webpage and in person queries by accessing a variety of print and non-print resources, including electronic resources.
- Performs bibliographic searches using both print and non-print sources.
- Performs outreach to the community, community organizations, and schools; informs community members and organizations about library services, programs, and collections.
- Organizes, maintains, and catalogs/indexes a variety of print and digital materials.
- Assists with collection development, as appropriate.
- Responds to suggestions, requests, or concerns from library users or community members.
- Participates in meetings, committees, or projects intended to enhance library services or promote consistent policies and procedures across the department.
- Performs special reading and research and participates in professional meetings, workshops, and conferences and continuing education programs, as appropriate to remain abreast of current literature and professional trends.
- Maintains and troubleshoots electronic and online resources.
- Represents the department at professional meetings as required and promotes library services.
- Compiles and drafts library activity reports and statistics.
- When assigned as "Librarian-in-Charge", acts as moderator in difficult patron interactions, applying and implementing library policies and guidelines appropriately, modifying or adjusting these on a case by case basis and referring unresolved issues to a Senior or Principal Librarian or management; addresses building malfunction and emergency maintenance issues, makes schedule adjustments for unplanned absences, and opens/closes the facility.
When assigned to Technology and Support Services:
- Assist with special programming
- Update & maintain book displays
- Update book lists and youth specific flyers, bookmarks, and other promotional material
- Create youth book bundles
- Staff Youth Services reference desk
- Provide assistance with Beanstack database maintenance
- Provide research assistance with grant applications
- Assist with program registrations
- Demonstrate knowledge of Accelerated Reader and Lexile reading levels and assist parents and youth in locating materials within these frameworks
- Assists in the development and implementation of the summer reading program
When assigned to Branch Services:
- Responds to troubleshooting requests for staff and public equipment, and digital resources.
- Assists with implementation and maintenance of new and existing library technologies.
- Instructs staff and patrons on software and technologies.
- Works with city information services staff to monitor status of outstanding technology issues.
- Updates content on the library web page.
- Open and close Branch locations
- Supervise volunteers and part-time clerks
- Handle cash, balance cash drawer
- Create displays, flyers, and other promotional material
- In-charge of the building
- Perform all borrower services functions
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. The City at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Requires a Master's Degree in Library Science and some related experience. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to a department interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.