This is a Part Time, Non Permanent Position.
This is an excellent opportunity to work for the Community & Library Services Department
as a Department Assistant IV (Gallery Aide) working under the direction of the Cultural Services Supervisor at the Huntington Beach Art Center. The incumbent will receive various scheduling assignments including nights, weekends, and special events. The ideal candidate
possesses effective and cooperative communication and interpersonal skills, displays knowledge of or an interest in fine art, and works well in a busy environment where attention to detail is important. Excellent customer service skills are required. Note:
This recruitment may close at any time, and will close as soon as the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 â€" June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7Â½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- With direction from the Cultural Services Supervisor, responds to customer inquiries both in person and on the phone;
- Disseminates information regarding art center programs;
- Registers customers for art classes and activities both in person and by mail;
- Prepares and balances city funds generated by art center programs for deposit;
- Updates and proofs portions of the city's Community Services Guide, the HB Sands;
- Processes memberships;
- Provide marketing support;
- Provide audio/video technology support;
- Preparation of multi-use class rooms for art classes or rental activities;
- Assists in the preparation of exhibitions, special events and art projects.
- Light custodial duties in the absence of custodian
- Performs related duties as assigned.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments a needed.
Qualifications Knowledge of
: City and departmental policies and procedures; English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation as well as computer word processing and related software applications, effective public relations/customer service principles, practices and techniques. Knowledge of RecTrac registration software is highly desirable Ability to
: Work independently in the absence of a supervisor, provide excellent customer service to the community at all times; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; operate personal computers and related software, maintain accurate records; record and retrieve information, lift or move up to 50 pounds without assistance, as well as heavier objects with assistance; available to work nights, weekends and special events. Education & Experience
: High school diploma or equivalent, supplemented by college level course work and at least two years related skilled experience plus related education and/or training. An Associate's degree in Art or above is preferred. License :
By time of appointment, must have a valid California driver license with an acceptable driving record. Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle. CPR/First Aid Certificates :
Must be obtained within 3 months of appointment. APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a drug screen, TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions
Incumbents must be able to meet the physical requirements of the class and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to be performed. Work is performed in a general office environment. Requires hearing and speaking skills to answer the telephone or converse with coworkers and the general public. Reasonable accommodation(s) for an individual with a qualified disability will be considered on a case-by-case basis. SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.