The purpose of this position is to assist with the repairs and maintenance of water distribution, wastewater collection, and water production systems components for the City. This is accomplished by performing repairs to water lines; performing repairs to sewer lines; completing work for customer service calls; performing preventative maintenance; and completing installation of sewer and water taps. Other duties include conducting repairs to hydrants and valves; and interacting with other City employees and citizens. Scheduled for on-call pager rotation in response to emergencies. Essential Job Functions
- Performs repairs to water lines by responding to water leaks; identifying the source of leak; isolating line segment; exposing and making repairs; flushing system; placing line back into service; operating all the required valves; ensuring job site safety at all times.
- Performs repairs to sewer lines by exposing the sewer line; identifying the source of the problem; avoiding the creation of damage to other utilities; conducting repairs; and ensuring a safe job site at all times.
- Completes work for customer service calls by responding to service call requests for water to be turned on, leaks at mains, sewer stoppages, and for service to lines; deploying with adequate equipment; and expediting the return to service of sewer or water to customers.
- Performs preventative maintenance by performing pull down maintenance utilizing the flush truck or mounted trailer; removing obstructions in sewer lines by derooting, cleaning, or introducing chemicals; and performing CCTV inspections to identify line problems as required.
- Completes installation of sewer and water taps by assisting with installation service of taps by exposing mains in asphalt, soils, or concrete; installing tap penetrating mains; isolating line as required; inspecting and testing for leaks at new connections.
- Conducts repairs to hydrants and valves by isolating fire hydrant lead; exposing piping and assessing damages for repair; replacing or reinstalling parts; performing inspections prior to placing hydrant in service; exposing valve; isolating line segment; identifying problem; repairing valve back to operational level; and placing valve into the open position.
- High school diploma or GED
- under and including one year related to conducting repairs and maintenance of water distribution lines and wastewater lines, operating various gas/hydraulic equipment/tool, and knowledge of safe work zones preferred.
- Class C Drivers license required. Must be able to obtain a Class A CDL with tanker endorsement within 30 days of employment as a condition of continued employment.
- Must posses a valid Class I Collections License within 6 months of employment and obtain Class C Distribution or Class II Collections License within 30 months of employment.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed wet/and or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions confined space risk of electrical shock and risk of vibration.
- Ability to work under routine and emergency situations, sometimes in severe weather.
- Shall carry a pager for scheduled on-call duty.
- Schedules and shifts shall vary based on necessities in sustaining daily 24 hour operations.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays if necessary.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous