Job Summary Two-time WINNER of the NRPA Gold Medal Award Grand Prairie Parks, Arts and Recreation Department is looking for innovative and passionate recreation professionals for the Recreation Specialist position.
The purpose of the Recreation Specialist-Special Events (Community Events) position is to plan, implement, and facilitate city-wide and recreational based events, offered by the Parks, Arts and Recreation Dept. This position is responsible for the planning and implantation of special events, such as: Easter Egg-Stravaganza, Sneak A Peek, Ice Cream Challenge, Kid's Fishing Days, Farmers Market events, a variety of Get Fit GP related events and programs, as well as acts as a liaison between our department and other city departments to achieve their special events, as well. This position also provides daily assistance with the planning and preparation of community and city-wide special events as directed, by the Manager of Events.Essential Job Functions
- Plans, organizes and implements programs and athletic activities by teaching arts and craft classes; teaching toddler classes; monitoring a creative jewelry class and constructing men, women and youth basketball teams.
- Assists in supervision of the facility by maintaining a safe environment for the public; supervising part-time and seasonal instructors in programs, leagues, or classes and communicating with youth participants' parents.
- Performs office duties by maintaining report program worksheets daily; developing flyers, profit and loss reports; scheduling work hours for part-time employees; assisting in overseeing programs and reservation scheduling; inputting data into the computer; stuffing and preparing envelopes for mailing and filing.
- Leads exercise classes by setting up the room; ensuring that all necessary equipment is provided (tape player, weights, mats, etc) and leading the classes in the exercises.
- Organizes field trips by creating itineraries; contacting vendors for transportation, restaurants and tickets for events; coordinating the field trip dates to ensure that they don't overlap with recreational center activities; hosting the seniors' trips; working with the bus driver to assure that the seniors will have an enjoyable trip; helping with luggage; assisting seniors on and off the bus and in and out of buildings.
- Promotes public relations by speaking to schools, groups, organizations, parents, members and participants about programs and the needs of the community.
- Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- One year of related experience promoting & organizing special events
- This position will require some evenings, weekends and some holidays.
- CPR - First Aid, Valid Texas Class C Driver's License
- Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers or temporary employees.
- Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
- Discussion Very Frequent: More than 51% of work time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous