OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
EXAM NUMBER: Y5111M REBULLETIN INFORMATION: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION REGARDING NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY CONTACT THE EXAM ANALYST IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.FILING START DATE: 02/04/16 AT 8:00AM - UNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE. COVID-19 VACCINATION All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department.DEFINITION:
Serves as a scrub technician in an operating room and provides direct and indirect care to patients before, during, and after surgery.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class work under the direct supervision of a registered nurse and function as a member of an operating room team during surgical and endoscopic procedures. Positions are characterized by duties requiring a detailed knowledge of surgical instruments and prescribed procedures to provide surgeons the appropriate sterile surgical instruments and supplies throughout the course of surgery. Such duties are performed under the close supervision of registered nurses and physicians who are immediately available to provide direction and control. Positions are also responsible for maintaining the operating room in aseptic conditions following established policies and procedures and assisting with patient care during and after surgery. These positions also set up and strip down the operating room prior to and after surgery under the guidance of a circulating nurse.
Essential Job Functions
- Monitors and continually assess' operating room conditions, including patient and surgical team needs.
- Sets up operating room prior to surgery by obtaining and checking equipment, instruments, packs and supplies needed in surgery, according to nursing protocol; prepares and processes instrument trays and other supplies as needed.
- Correctly verifies solutions, drugs, and drainage tubes with circulating nurse and labels them accordingly.
- Assists in maintaining and labeling specimens collected during surgery according to the established procedures.
- Serves as a scrub technician during a variety of surgical procedures, handling sterile instruments and supplies while maintaining aseptic technique.
- Cleans, sorts, sterilizes, and decontaminates operating room, equipment as well as instruments utilizing sterilizer, ultrasonic, and Steris; disposes of waste and soiled supplies in appropriate receptacle.
- Assembles, operates, adjusts, and monitors support equipment such as suction machines, scopes, diagnostic equipment and lights to ensure proper operation.
- Under direction of a surgeon, assists with suctioning, cutting sutures, and applying and removing dressings for operative procedures according to established policies and procedures.
- Counts sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments before surgery, before closure, during closure, and after surgery to ensure all surgical supplies are accounted for, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maintains files and records of surgical procedures.
- Transports patients to and from perioperative services and/or medical wards and assists the surgeon and registered nurse in positioning, prepping, and draping patients for surgery.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Graduation from an accredited surgical technology program.*-AND-
2. Current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.**LICENSE
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS III
- Moderate; Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of a diploma, certificate, or official transcript to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application filing date that indicates the applicant has graduated from an accredited surgical technology program. Information regarding accredited surgical technology programs may be found at the following website: https://www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/
**Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from application filing date. Applications submitted without required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected .DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current certification issued by The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) for surgical technologists (CST).***
- Experience as a scrub technician in an operating room, providing direct and indirect care to patients before, during and after surgery.
***Certification issued by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) for surgical technologists (CST) will be verified using the following website: http://nbstsa.org/
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This exam will consist of an evaluation of education and training based on the application information, desirable qualifications and supplemental questionnaire weighted 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added to the eligible register. Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add Lpascual@dhs.lacounty.gov and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX, OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the documents to the Exam Analyst, Luz Pascual at Lpascual@dhs.lacounty.gov within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include exam number and exam title. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE
Luz Pascual, Exam Analyst