PH5709C FIRST DAY OF FILING :
September 8, 2020 at 8:00 a.m., Pacific Time (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.This announcement is being reposted to add COVID-19 vaccination information in the Additional Information section. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityNo Out-of-Class Experience will be accepted.Position Information:
Provides first level of supervision to nurse evaluator staff responsible for surveying health care facilities and enforcing licensing and certification standards in accordance with State, Federal, and local laws and regulations pertaining to areas affecting total patient care such as nursing, physician, restorative, and related services; or performs administrative staff assignments in licensing, enforcement and training services.Program Information:
Positions allocable to this class perform one of the following types of assignments: Incumbents exercise full supervisory authority in both technical and administrative matters over a staff of nurse evaluators responsible for surveying health care facilities and enforcing licensing and certification standards in accordance with State, Federal, and local laws and regulations pertaining to areas affecting total patient care such as nursing, physician, restorative, and related services. Although incumbents may occasionally perform surveys in problem cases, their primary role involves expediting the work of subordinates through careful planning, organization and assignment of work in addition to training and evaluating personnel in their unit and effectively recommending the adjustment of grievances and disciplinary problems. Other positions are assigned such functions as: review and analysis of State, Federal and local legislation and regulations that pertain to hospitals, skilled nursing and related health care skilled nursing facilities; planning, developing and implementing automated systems.
Essential Job Functions
Supervises the activities of nurse evaluators assigned to either a District Office or training by planning, assigning and reviewing work, both administratively and in the field.
Evaluates performance by determining effectiveness in enforcing applicable medical care standards and regulations, counseling evaluators for purposes of improving performance and productivity, adjusting grievances, and recommending disciplinary action.
Interprets, clarifies, and resolves field surveillance problems relating to State, Federal and local regulations pertaining to eligibility for participation in State and Federal health care programs as well as licensing and certification requirements.
Resolves problems arising from surveys disputed by facility management by reviewing the original survey report, reviewing areas in contention, obtaining evaluations by staff consultants, preparing reports and recommending enforcement or other legal actions.
Conducts informal office conferences with licensees in order to formulate prompt and effective mechanisms for the resolution of problems affecting the health, safety and welfare of patients.
Evaluates facility records and other evidence and recommends enforcement proceedings such as criminal prosecutions, citations, injunctions, decertification or the revocation of facility licenses in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Reviews and evaluates team effectiveness and takes necessary steps to assure that current laws, regulations, policies and procedures are consistently followed.
Reviews, evaluates, and signs correspondence concerning violations and compliance with State, Federal, and local laws and regulations.
Plans and provides in-service training through the development of training programs and workshops in cooperation with State and Federal training coordinators.
Reviews, evaluates, and recommends changes to plans and proposals for new construction of, or for changes and alterations to, health care facilities.
Maintains production records and statistical data to aid in monitoring activities of subordinate staff.
Presides at District staff and training meetings and quarterly provider group meetings.
Conducts special internal and external studies, analyzing issues, recommending solutions and assisting in the implementation of approved changes.
May meet with community groups regarding Division functions and the regulation process.
Requirements Meet one of the following experiences AND license requirements at the time of filing in order to move forward in the exam process.Option I:
Two years of work experience* at the level of Health Facilities Evaluator, Nursing** OR Option II:
Two years of work experience as a Health Facilities Evaluator I*** in the County of Los Angeles enforcing local licensing and certification requirements relating to medical care. License(s) and Certificate(s) Required: A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
A current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.
- Applicants must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
- Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must provide their Registered Nurse License Number from that state on the application at the time of filing. Out-of-State experience provided on the application without the required license number will not be considered.
- Out-of-Country license/experience will not be considered to meet the requirements.
A valid California Class C Driver's License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
- Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of the required BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing your application online sent to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov. Applications submitted without the required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected.
The required license and certification MUST
be current/active and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification will NOT
be accepted. Physical Class:
2 - Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved. Special Requirement Information:
- *Experience will be evaluated on a verifiable 36 hour work week and must be post-license only.
- **In the County of Los Angeles experience at the level of Health Facilities Evaluator, Nursing is a registered nurse who performs surveys, investigates, and inspects hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and related health care facilities to enforce Federal, State and local licensing and certification requirements relating to medical care.
- ***Must hold or have held the Los Angeles County item of Health Facilities Evaluator I.
Additional Information Our Assessment Process:
Once we have determined that you meet one of the experience options and
license requirements listed above, our process will consist of an evaluation of training and experience based on the supplemental questionnaire at the time of filing, weighted 100%. Applicants must meet one of the experience options and license requirements listed above and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination (Assessment Process) in order to be added to the hiring list (Eligible Register) for consideration of employment.
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS
. Vacancy Information:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. What to expect next:
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department. Fair Chance Employer:
- We ask that you submit an application through the "Apply" link at the top of the opportunity posting using your own user ID and password (using a family member or friend's user ID may erase a candidate's original application record). Applications must be filed online only. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
- Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score the assessment will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
- The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of promulgation.
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction
history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individual
assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.
Have any questions about anything? Please contact us using the following information:Available Shift:
AnyCalifornia Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099Alternate Teletype Phone:
(800) 897-0077Exam Number:
PH5709CDepartment Contact Name:
Exam AnalystDepartment Contact Phone:
(323) 914-8488Department Contact Email: