FIRST DAY OF FILING: June 11, 2021 at 8:00 a.m., PT
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAM NUMBER: Y5100STYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity (OC)NO Out of Class Experience will be Accepted COVID-19 VACCINATION MANDATE:
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a
condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required
to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for
qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates
should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring
department. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES:
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. DHS operates as an integrated health system, operating 26 health centers and four acute care hospitals, in addition to providing health care to youth in the juvenile justice system and inmates in the LA County jails. Across the network of DHS' directly operated clinical sites and through partnerships with community-based clinics, DHS cares for about 800,000 unique patients each year, employs over 22,000 staff, and has an annual operating budget of 5 billion dollars.
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition, to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.THE MISSION:
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care. DEFINITION:
Provides prescribed care to patients in an inpatient care unit.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs support tasks, including but not limited to taking inventory and replenishing ward supplies such as thermometers, gloves and needles, inspecting, folding, packaging and sterilizing dressings, and assisting in patient admission, transfer and discharge by listing and making distribution of clothing and valuables, and performs incidental clerical tasks.
- Performs a limited prescribed range of technical nursing tasks, such as collecting urine, stool and sputum specimens, monitoring the physical condition of patients and reporting changes to the charge nurse, measuring and recording patients' food and liquid intake and output, taking and recording vital signs, and recognizing manifest signs of anxiety, stress or indications of change in emotional state of behavior.
- Provides limited therapeutic services for patients as directed by a charge nurse or physician, such as turning and positioning patients to prevent pressure sores and to facilitate drainage, applying hot or cold compresses, applying bandages; giving baths, administering oxygen, giving bowel and bladder training.
- Contributes to patient comfort and well-being by rearranging bedding and changing linen, serving and removing meal trays and responding to requests for personal services, such as filling water containers, making mechanical adjustments of bed and providing assistance in changing position in bed, furnishing bedpans and urinals, and giving baths, shampoos and back rubs.
- Helps patients as may be required in all of the usual activities of daily living such as eating, brushing teeth, dressing and undressing, and eliminating.
- Encourages patients to resuming normal functioning at a pace in keeping with their capability
- Administers passive exercises to or helps patients to perform exercises and activities prescribed by a physician, licensed therapist, or registered nurse; assists patients in sitting up, getting out of bed, and ambulating
- Communicates with patients and members of their families and with members of the hospital staff in a manner conducive to achieving and maintaining a patient environment which is free of stress and emotional tension.
- Maintains a sanitary environment for patients by cleaning up minor spills, washing and cleaning bedpans, urinals and emesis basins, cleaning bathtubs and hydrotherapy tanks, cleaning up operating rooms after use, and washing as well as cleaning instruments/equipment such as catheters or tubings.
- Carries on prescribed structured interaction with patients which is designed to provide an environment in which behavioral modification may take place; observes and reports patient's response.
- Protects patients and staff by intervening in ward disturbances, calming agitated patients and restraining combative patients.
- As an incident to other duties described above, escorts patients to outside clinics, schools, recreational therapy, and other pertinent approved off-site locations.
- Assists physicians in performing medical procedures positioning and draping of patients such as but not limited to restraining patients during procedure and passing instrument/supplies to the physician as requested.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. Six months' experience as a Nursing Attendant in a ward or clinic -AND-
2. Certification as a Nursing Assistant by the California Department of Public Health.*
3. Certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.** PHYSICAL CLASS:
IV - Arduous:
Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Please ensure the License and Certification Section of the required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required licensed as specified in the Selection Requirements. The required certification MUST be current/active and unrestricted ; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification will NOT be accepted.
attach a legible photocopy of the required license/BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected.
Additional points will be awarded for work experience gained after receiving c ertification as a Nursing Assistant by the California Department of Public Health.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of an evaluation of training and experience based on application information weighted 100%. Additional points will be given for desirable qualifications.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher in the examination to be placed on the eligible register.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the jail facilities throughout the Department of Health Services - Correctional Health and the Department of Health Services as they occur. SPECIAL INFORMATION:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.
AVAILABLE SHIFT: Any
Appointees may be required to work any shift and at any correctional facility, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Some appointees will be in direct contact with inmate patients in a jail environment to provide professional nursing care and services to inmate patients.
APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment .
Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION and you may be DISQUALIFIED. This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted. NOTE: If you are unable to attach required documents, you must e-mail the documents to the exam analyst at firstname.lastname@example.org, within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(323) 914-7111 TELETYPE PHONE:
(800) 899-4099 CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Christina Ramirez, Exam Analyst Cramirez4@dhs.lacounty.gov