COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES PROBATION DEPARTMENT
EXAM NUMBER: F8618I
FIRST DAY OF FILING: APRIL 9, 2021 AT 8:00 A.M. (PT) FILING DATES:
APRIL 9, 2021 - UNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSURE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICETYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunityCLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Ensures order and security during normal nighttime sleeping hours in a facility maintained for the custody, care, treatment or rehabilitation of probation youth. Officers must be able to physically restrain probation youth.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures for the care and safety of probation youth during normal nighttime sleeping hours.
- Makes periodic rounds of the living unit to verify the presence of all probation youth assigned and to guard against problems such as fires.
- Maintains order and security in the living unit and investigates unusual sounds and occurrences.
- Takes appropriate action to prevent escapes, rule infractions, or other disturbances and observes and records the behavior and actions of individual probation youth and comforts or disciplines as necessary.
- Inspects bedding to prevent misuse and ensure safety, and monitors ventilation and heating levels in the living unit to maintain a comfortable environment.
- Ensures that injured or ill probation youth obtain nursing or medical attention.
- Carries out standard procedures for the admission or release of probation youth including orientation to the facility and assignment to living quarters.
- Supervises probation youth on awakening, in dressing, and in preparing their sleeping area for the day.
- Restrains or assists in restraining combative or emotionally disturbed probation youth.
- Keeps records, makes reports, and performs other clerical duties as assigned.
- Transports or prepares probation youth for transportation to medical care facilities, courts or other locations.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
Graduation from an accredited* high school** -OR- A California High School Proficiency Certificate** awarded by the California State Board of Education***
Candidates must meet the qualifications for designation as a Peace Officer within the Probation Department, including, but not limited to:
1) No Felony Convictions
2) U.S. citizen -OR- permanent resident alien who is eligible for, and has applied for citizenship
3) At least 21 years of age at the time of appointment
Appointees will be required to meet the State mandated CORE training requirements as defined by Standards for Training in Corrections.PHYSICAL CLASS
4 - Arduous: Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.LICENSE
A valid California Class C Driver License is required to perform job-related essential functions. Appointees must obtain a California Commercial Class B Driver License with Passenger Endorsement within 90 days from the date of appointment.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATIONSupplemental Questionnaire
As part of this application process, applicants will be required to complete a supplemental questionnaire. The questionnaire contains a pre-investigative questionnaire which will be utilized as part of the background investigation process to ensure applicants meet the selection requirements and standards set forth by the Los Angeles County Probation Department.
Applicants who fail the supplemental questionnaire will be disqualified and will have to wait twelve (12) months from the date of the disqualification in order to reapply.
Candidates must be able to pass a thorough BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
1) Live Scan and Criminal Records Check
2) Polygraph Examination or Computer Voice Stress Analyzer Test
3) Psychological Examination
4) Medical and Drug Screening Examination
5) Credit Check
6) Juvenile Corrections Officer Core physical agility examinationNOTE: IF YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR A PEACE OFFICER POSITION WITH THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY PROBATION DEPARTMENT AND HAVE BEEN DISQUALIFIED AS PART OF THE BACKGROUND PROCESS WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY REJECTED.
Candidates who are found unsuitable for employment will be removed from the eligible register pursuant to Civil Service Rule 6.04 including but not limited to the following:
- Who is addicted to the use of intoxicating liquors or narcotics or habit-forming drugs;
- Who is guilty of conduct not compatible with County employment, whether or not it amounts to a crime;
- Who has been dismissed or has resigned in lieu of discharge from any position, public or private, for any cause which would be a cause for dismissal from County service; or whose record of employment has not been satisfactory in the County service, or with any other agency or firm;
- Who has abandoned any position in County service or been absent from duty without leave of absence duly granted;
- Who has made material false statement or who has attempted any deception or fraud in connection with this or any other civil service examinations;
- Who refuses to execute the oath as prescribed by law;
- Who refuses to be fingerprinted;
- Who refuses to take or fails to pass the prescribed medical examination.
*In accordance with the provisions of California Government Code Section 1031(e), accredited high schools are those accredited by certifying organizations recognized by the United States Department of Education and include accredited public and non-public high schools in the United States and accredited United States Department of Defense high schools. **IN ORDER TO QUALIFY, YOU MUST IDENTIFY THE HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA/GED/ CALIFORNIA HIGH SCHOOL PROFICIENCY CERTIFICATE ON THE JOB APPLICATION AND ATTACH/UPLOAD IN NEOGOV A LEGIBLE COPY OF THE HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA/GED/ CALIFORNIA HIGH SCHOOL PROFICIENCY CERTIFICATE, OR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS OR OFFICIAL LETTER FROM THE ACCREDITED INSTITUTION WHICH SHOWS THE DIPLOMA/CERTIFICATE AWARDED WITH REGISTRAR'S SIGNATURE AND/OR SCHOOL SEAL WITH YOUR APPLICATION AT THE TIME OF FILING IN NEOGOV OR DURING THE EXAMINATION PROCESS OR YOUR APPLICATION MAY BE REJECTED.
***A California High School Proficiency Certificate is awarded by passing the General Educational Development Test (GED) or the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) tests.
Positions to this class will be required to possess a certificate of completion of a 40-hour introductory training course on the laws of arrest under Penal Code Section 832 and Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) within 90 days of appointment to the position.COVID-19 VACCINATION:
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of two (2) parts: Part I:
The Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC) developed and validated Juvenile Officer written selection examination covering Written Communication, Reading Comprehension, Apply Rules, and Basic Math, weighted 70%.
Candidates who do not pass the Juvenile Officer written test will be notified by mail and will not be invited to Part II of the examination. RESULTS CANNOT BE GIVEN OVER THE PHONE
. SCORE TRANSFERS
Any passing score for the Juvenile Officer written test examinations administered after October 2020 will have their written responses for the identical test part(s) automatically transferred to this exam and will proceed to Part II of this examination.Part II:
An interview covering Emotional Control, Adaptability, Interpersonal Sensitivity, Objectivity/Tolerance, Listening Comprehension, Oral Communication, Selective Attention, Multi-tasking, Applied Memorization, Assertiveness, Attention to Detail, weighted 30%.
This examination contains test parts that may be used in the future for new examinations. Your scores will be transferred to the new examination and you may not be allowed to re-take any identical test parts for at least 12 months.Candidates must qualify based on the Supplemental Questionnaire and achieve a passing score of 70% on all weighted test parts of the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register. THE WRITTEN TEST IS NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19. TEST PREPARATION RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP CANDIDATES PREPARE FOR EMPLOYMENT TESTS
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for the written Juvenile Officer test at http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/probation/1078218_CandidateOrientationBooklet.pdf
or on the Probation website at https://probation.lacounty.gov
under Candidate Orientation Booklet.
To access the Los Angeles County Probation Department Pre-Academy Fitness Guide, click here: http://file.lacounty.gov/probation/cms1_248934.pdf
While these study guides will help in preparing for the test, we advise you to review ALL related materials you deem necessary.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and the names of candidates that qualify based on the Supplemental Questionnaire and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the weighted test parts of the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. VACANCY INFORMATION
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies located in the Los Angeles County Probation Department. AVAILABLE SHIFT
Nights APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Applications must be filed online (via NEOGOV electronic submission) ONLY. Applications submitted by US Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
All applicants must enter a current/updated mailing and email address at the time of filing as NOTICES MAY BE SENT BY MAIL OR EMAIL .
Entering an invalid mailing/email address may result in the rejection of your application during the examination process. To update information, applicants must make changes to their profile at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty
Many important notifications including invitation letters will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that you provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org
to your email address and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail.
Applicants have the ability to opt out of emails from LA County. If you unsubscribe, you will not receive any email notifications for any examinations for which you apply with Los Angeles County.
Regardless of whether you choose to unsubscribe, you can always check for notifications by logging into governmentjobs.com and viewing your profile inbox, which saves a copy of all emailed notices.
It is your responsibility to take the above steps to view correspondence. Los Angeles County will not consider claims of not viewing or receiving notifications to be a valid reason for late test administration or rescheduling of a test component.
To apply for this examination, click on the green "Apply
" button located on this posting. Your application must be submitted electronically by 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing. Visit the NEOGOV website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty
Applicants may upload required or additional documents (i.e. copy of degree, certification, etc.) as attachment(s) at the time of filing in NEOGOV. If you are unable to attach the required and/or additional documents at the time of filing, you may email to email@example.com
during the examination process or your application may be rejected. Please include your name, examination number, and examination title.
Fill out your application completely. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. All information is subject to verification. This exam may close at any time without prior notice. We may reject your application at any time during the selection process.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes.
Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD: All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record and will result in an automatic rejection of your application.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have CLEARLY shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS. Please fill out the application completely and correctly to receive full credit for any related education, training, and job experience. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, titles of courses completed, date completed, and number of credit and/or certificates earned. All information and records are subject to verification. Applications may be rejected at any stage of the selection process. This exam may close at any time without prior notice.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE COMPLETE INFORMATION INCLUDING THE NAME(S) AND ADDRESS(ES) OF YOUR EMPLOYER(S), YOUR JOB TITLE(S); BEGINNING AND ENDING DATES; THE FUNCTIONS PERFORMED INCLUDING A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR ROLE, LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT, INDEPENDENCE, AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE SIZE OF YOUR ORGANIZATION, COMPLEXITY AND LEVEL OF ACCOUNTABILITY RELATED TO YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND ACCEPTANCE INTO THE EXAMINATION PROCESS. Department Contact Name:
Probation Examinations & Recruitment Unit, Sworn ExamsDepartment Contact Number:
(562) 940-2659Department Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgCalifornia Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(562) 658-1813Teletype Phone: