TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY Exam Number
Y5308J FILING START DATE 07/23/2020 at 8:00 A.M. (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. REBULLETIN INFORMATION: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO REOPEN FILING DATES AND UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION REGARDING NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS. All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department. ABOUT THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY:
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. DHS operates as an integrated health system, operating 26 health centers and four acute care hospitals, in addition to providing health care to youth in the juvenile justice system and inmates in the LA County jails. Across the network of DHS' directly operated clinical sites and through partnerships with community-based clinics, DHS cares for about 600,000 unique patients each year, employs over 23,000 staff, and has an annual operating budget of 6.5 billion. Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition, to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing. Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP)
: This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations.DEFINITION:
Under general direction, directs the nursing services of an autonomous County Medical Center which provides inpatient and outpatient services.
Essential Job Functions
- Collaborates with the Chief Medical Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Executive Officer on the development of clinical operations, treatment guidelines and standardized protocols to recommend appropriate action in meeting existing needs and resolving specific problems, and to advise on the establishment of long- and short-term goals and objectives and priorities.
- Reviews day-to-day nursing activities and reports of nursing support activities. Coordinates and defends budget and manpower requests for the entire nursing service of the Medical Center and monitors performance against approved budget.
- Participates as a member of the executive management team.
- Administers general personnel management matters and actions, including appointment of designated department heads or other senior nursing positions.
- Establishes and monitors performance of overall goals, objectives, policies, and standards for the nursing service by providing quality, safety, and nurse sensitive indicator reports and benchmarks.
- Participates in strategic planning for the organization, and is responsible for strategic planning in the Department of Nursing.
- Ensures the organizing, directing and coordination of medical and health services in compliance with regulatory standards and best community practice. Directs the provision of appropriate continuing education programs for all categories of staff.
- Interprets and communicates organizational policies, procedures and priorities internally and to various agencies in the community.
- Delegates assignments to key personnel to develop specific measurable goals for each area of nursing care.
- Provides 24-hour direction of the nursing service
- Develops nursing and employee engagement activities that improve staff engagement, patient experience, and patient outcomes.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Three years' experience within the last ten (10) years, at the level of Clinical Nursing Director I* or higher as a director over nursing staff of a large hospital (200+ beds), or large correctional institution(s), or comprehensive health centers offering multiple ambulatory care services. LICENSE REQUIRED: A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Please ensure the certificates and licenses section of the application is completed. Provide the type of the required license(s), the number(s), the date(s) of issue, the date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for each license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must provide their Registered Nurse License Number from that state on the application at the time of filing. Applications submitted without the required evidence of licensure will be considered incomplete.
The required license and certification must be current, active, and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary, or restricted license or certification will not be accepted. A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. PHYSICAL CLASS:
- Light. Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION :*
For this examination, a Clinical Nursing Director I administers multiple major programs or organizational areas with full responsibility for planning, organizing, staffing, budgeting, directing, and controlling the accomplishment of both short term and long-term nursing service objectives. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Additional credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Additional year of experience at the level of Clinical Nursing Director I* or higher- in excess of the selection requirements.
- A Doctorate** in Nursing Practice or PhD** in Nursing from a program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Experience developing, directing and implementing a shared governance model*** (at the level of Clinical Nursing Director I* or higher).
**In order to receive credit for the desired degree, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma or official transcripts which shows the area of specialization with your application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing.
***For this examination, shared governance is a working model of participatory decision making in which nurses are organized to make decisions about clinical practice standards, quality improvement, staff and professional development, and research.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT :
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education and experience based upon application information, desirable qualifications, and supplemental questionnaire, weighted at 100%. Candidates must meet the selection requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Many important notifications including invitation letters will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION :
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the green "APPLY" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely to receive full credit for related education and/or experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. Please do not group your experience, for each position held, give the name and address of your employer, your position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Please note that All information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION. We may reject your application at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment is made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will be REJECTED.
- It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three elements: ACTION you took, the CONTEXT in which you took that action, and the BENEFIT that was realized from your action. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the documents to the Exam Analyst, Sylvia Jaimez at firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 calendar days of filing online
. Please ensure to reference your attachment(s) by including your full name, examination number and examination title in the subject of your email. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE :
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employees have a Social Security Number. NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD :
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE :
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed . ADA COORDINATOR :
(323) 914-7111 TELETYPE PHONE :
(800) 899-4099 CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE :
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT :
Sylvia Jaimez, Exam Analyst