Description Retention Specialist: Class Specification (Job description) MSC Range 4
Full-time/Exempt 40 hours per week; 12 months per year
Anticipated Start Date: January 3, 2021
Tentative Interviews: November 2021Application Tips for Success
This position is contingent upon continued categorical funding.Additional Resources: POSITION HIGHLIGHTS:
The Native American Retention Specialist position will work in Butte College's Student Equity Department and support the academic success and sense of belonging for our Native American students. Butte College's Student Equity Department is committed to fostering equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism while promoting a campus learning environment that values students' cultures, celebrates their identities, and improves educational outcomes. The Student Equity Department works to secure the full range of resources, support, and services necessary to provide opportunities to disproportionately impacted students, including those who are racially minoritized, LGBTQ+, and undocumented or from mixed status families.
A demonstrated commitment to working in a diverse higher educational setting with a track record of serving historically underrepresented and marginalized student populations and experience with our local Native American tribal communities are highly beneficial. Specifically, successful candidates may demonstrate the following:
- Active relationships with local and regional Tribal communities.
- Knowledge of Native American student barriers and successes in higher education.
- Knowledge of California Tribal history.
- The ability to work effectively with and in Native American communities.
Butte-Glenn Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Butte-Glenn Community College District will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals. Butte-Glenn Community College District encourages both incumbents and individuals who have been offered employment to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES, MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Please visit the class specification
to see the representative duties, minimum qualifications, desired qualifications, and other requirements of the position. DIVERSITY QUALIFICATION:
Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity and sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
All applicants, including current butte college employees, must submit all required documents with the online application to move forward in the recruitment process. REQUIRED ATTACHMENTS:
REQUIRED UPON HIRE:
- Resume or Vita: Please submit this as an attachment, not as a text resume within the application.
- Diversity Essay: The Butte-Glenn Community College District has a diverse staff and student population with respect to academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds.
- In your Diversity Essay, please describe your skills, education, professional development, community involvement, and professional experience working with these diverse groups.
- Transcripts of Academic Work: Official transcripts will be required upon hire. All offers of employment are contingent upon the submission of official transcripts showing completion of the degree. NOTE: Transcripts are not a required attachment during the application process.
- Foreign Transcripts: If you have foreign transcripts, you must include a U.S. evaluation and translation. Please contact the Office of Human Resources for a list of agencies providing this service or visit our website.
- Equivalency: If the position has an education equivalency component within the minimum qualifications and you are applying under equivalency, transcripts will not be required.
- The successful applicant will be required to complete a medical history questionnaire and must agree to undergo and pass a pre-employment physical examination, based on the physical requirements of the position, prior to employment. The physician will be selected and paid for by the District. Disabilities not related to the essential physical job requirements will not preclude the applicant from being hired.
- Education Code • 87408.6 states that no person shall be initially employed by a community college district in an academic or classified position unless the person has submitted to an examination within the past sixty (60) days to determine that he or she is free of active tuberculosis.
- As a condition of employment, the position you are applying for will require that you provide fingerprints to the local police department. The fee charged by the Department of Justice (DOJ) for the fingerprint report is the employee's responsibility. If you should be offered this position you will be asked to sign a payroll deduction form which will authorize the District to deduct the fee charged by the DOJ from your first paycheck.
The eligible list established from this recruitment will be used to fill the current vacancy and future vacancies for positions with the same class specification.
The District reserves the right to modify, rescind or re-advertise this announcement without notification or to delay indefinitely the employment of a person for the position.
The Butte-Glenn Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: 10/27/2021 11:59 PM Pacific