Under general supervision, performs professional-level librarian duties, utilizing current technology and traditional resources to support the Technical Services division. The Cataloging librarian supports timely and efficient access to library materials in all formats and performs a variety of database maintenance work to ensure the integrity and fullness of cataloging data. Essential Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs descriptive and subject cataloging, both copy and original cataloging of print and non-print material.
- Coordination of cataloging activities with cataloging technicians and acquisitions.
- Responsible for the coordination and implementation of special collection and database maintenance projects.
- Maintain current awareness of benefits, usefulness and functionality of various cataloging practices and standards.
- Physical processing - primarily of specialized kits and genealogical materials, some print and non-print material.
- Monitors the database and verifies the accuracy and accessibility of catalog records.
- Maintains authority files.
- Provides research and information assistance.
- Substitutes in other library departments and branches as needed.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information.
- Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
- Driving is essential.
- Proficiency with Windows-based Pc's, Microsoft Office products, web searching and email.
- Knowledge of cataloging principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of original and copy cataloging of material and maintaining authority files and database maintenance.
- Knowledge of establishing local cataloging practices and standards.
- Knowledge of various computer programs, bibliographic support systems and the Internet.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal Classification System, LC subject headings, MARC formats and AACR2R, RDA, OCLC standards and cataloging tools.
- In-depth knowledge of library materials, services and operations.
- Knowledge of emerging information and library technologies.
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of public library administration.
- State and Federal resources for Library programs.
- Policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities.
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Ability to learn and operate library automated system with high degree of efficiency.
- Must have organizational, communication, goal setting and project management skills.
- Ability to analyze and to creatively solve problems related to the position.
- Ability to exercise initiative, leadership and independent judgment.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible, adaptable and able to flourish in a changing environment.
- Cross-training in order to perform other duties and responsibilities is required.
Physical Demands Medium Work:
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution.
- Three years experience as a library professional.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
- Must be able to pass a Library Skills test - 80%
- Requires e xerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.