Under the direction of a licensed engineer, develops, reviews, and executes civil engineering projects for the Engineering Division of the Public Works or Water Utility Services Department. Essential Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs civil engineering work to develop plans and recommendations for civil engineering projects such as feasibility studies, design of water, sanitary sewer, storm drain, streets, pedestrian improvements, and detention facilities.
- Meets with citizens, businesses, and outside agencies to discuss engineering issues.
- Under supervision of a licensed engineer, prepares plans, specifications, estimates, special provisions, and funding documents.
- Conducts various meetings including pre-bid, bid-opening, and pre-construction.
- Serves as Project Manager for in-house design and construction projects.
- Serves as Project Manager for selected consultant projects.
- Performs other duties assigned by engineers in support of the Engineering Division and/or Water Utility Services including possible job rotation.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
- May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
- Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
- Driving is essential.
- Principles of civil engineering, mathematics, and physics.
- Principles of design, construction and maintenance of public works and utility projects.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in public works construction, maintenance and repair.
- City organization, operations, policies and procedures is preferred.
- Developing and reviewing designs, details, estimates, plans and specifications of engineering projects.
- Preparing, reviewing, and presenting reports.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials and representatives from other local, state and federal agencies.
- Strong oral and written technical communication skills.
- Proficiency with software including AutoCAD, Civil 3D and Microsoft Office a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited university.
- Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE) must be passed within 12 months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
- Engineer in Training certificate from the Texas Board of Professional Engineers must be obtained within 12 months of hire.
Physical Demands Light work:
- Related civil engineering work experience.
- Requires exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Major activities performed under normal office conditions
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.