Open until filled - next review of applications October 26, 2021. JOB SUMMARY
Under close supervision, assists in the installation, maintenance or repair of traffic control devices and traffic signal systems and infrastructure.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Performs manual labor for traffic maintenance, repair, operation, and construction.
- Operates various types of heavy equipment and power tools including, but not limited, to dump trucks, water trucks, loaders, power brooms, bucket trucks, street sweepers jack hammers, chain saws, and chippers.
- Cleans all infrastructure of debris in the right-of-way including trimming of trees and/or shrubbery.
- Installs and repairs street signs, traffic signs, and/or other types of signs for City departments.
- Utilizes computerized sign machine, silk screen, pressure sensitive sheeting, and heat activated sheeting to construct street signs.
- Installs various types of pavement markings in streets including cross walks, turn lanes, parking zones, fire lanes, and handicap parking areas.
- Installs school zone flashers and temporary traffic control.
- Provides traffic control for construction activities, emergencies, parades and various types of special events.
- Provides on-call assistance; responds to emergency situations as required
- Assists to install, maintain, modify, adjusts, test, troubleshoot, inspect, and/or repairs traffic control signals and related communication and traffic data collection systems
- Assists to inspect construction methods, workmanship, and maintenance procedures to ensure contractors build, install, and maintain traffic-related equipment in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Assists to install, troubleshoot, and maintain hardware and software pertaining to traffic systems.
- Assists with preparation of streets and roadways for paving; hauls, processes, and compacts road materials.
- Assists with milling and paving of streets.
- Assists with repairs damaged sidewalks and curbs; patches pot holes in roadways.
- Assists with cleaning and sweeping of City streets and/or Airport roads.
- Assist other City departments as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- This position works under general supervision.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- A Class A Commercial Driver's License is required within six (6) months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS CORE COMPETENCIES
- One (1) year experience operating heavy equipment or performing street, drainage, or traffic maintenance work.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to read/comprehend routine maintenance documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments/personnel and the general public.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 85 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision and hearing constantly; standing, walking, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, balancing, talking and foot controls frequently; sitting, lifting, carrying, fine dexterity, kneeling, twisting and climbing occasionally; crouching, crawling and bending rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, dust, dirt, heavy equipment, vehicle traffic, hot asphalt, hazardous chemicals/materials, and infectious diseases is involved. Utilizes personal protective equipment as required. Safety Sensitive Position.