JOB SUMMARYPosition is open until filled - Applications will be reviewed weekly. Job Summary
Performs a variety of technical engineering functions relative to area of assignment; performs computer aided drafting and design; prepares construction drawings; assists with plan review and permitting processes; conducts field work; provides technical assistance to developers, City departments, and the general public; and performs other related duties.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING Essential Functions
- Assist in production of overhead and underground electrical distribution plans and specifications in compliance with applicable codes, regulations and engineering principals. Assist in developing new projects and conducts follow up and field inspections when necessary. Line staking, computer aided drafting and design of electric utility lines, determine pole and line locations and make electrical field notes for overhead and underground systems.
- Surveys system for condition and provides updates for computerized distribution mapping system, performs underground locates for OneCall and DigTess systems, administers pole contact and attachment program, answers telephones and responds to requests from contractors, vendors and customers.
- Prepares reports for and oversees status of projects and activities, estimates construction design costs and time constraints, assists in development and review of construction specifications and monitors substation data. Enters appropriate information into various databases.
- Develops construction specifications and standards for Electric Utility system, offers input for the capital improvement and master plans and inputs budget.
- Drives to and from project sites and facilities.
- Attends training, seminars and meetings.
- Meets with customers and/or contractors for system and service planning.
- Dispatches crews in both emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Monitors SCADA system and responds to alarms.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- This position works under general supervision.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS Core Competencies
- Associate's Degree in a related field is required.
- Two (2) years related technical engineering experience is required.
- Additional two (2) years of related experience over the minimum requirement may substitute for each year of college..
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to read/comprehend municipal codes, reference manuals, construction plans, specifications, work orders, and other related engineering documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, developers, contractors, and the general public.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Physical requirements include lifting up to 30 pounds rarely. Subject to sitting frequently; handling, fine dexterity, vision, hearing and talking constantly; standing, walking and foot controls occasionally; lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending, twisting, climbing and balancing.
Working conditions involves exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, vehicle traffic, heavy equipment, general construction hazards, and high voltage electrical currents when conducting field work. Safety Sensitive Position. Work Hours
8 a.m. - 5 p.m., M-F FLSA Status