JOB SUMMARY Position is open until filled - Applications will be reviewed weekly JOB SUMMARY
Patrols city facilities, parks, and surrounding areas to ensure the safety of citizens. Enforces city ordinances, state laws, and serves summons/class C warrants for the municipal court. May work as a bailiff in municipal court occasionally. Reports to the City Marshal.
Variable Schedule, Part-time. Must be able to work four weekend days per month from May to September and one of the three major summer holiday weekends. Works special events year round including evenings, weekends, and holidays. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Patrols all city facilities, parks, and surrounding areas by foot, bike, kayak, ATV and vehicle, ensures the safety and security of citizens. Educates citizens regarding city ordinances and state laws. Issues verbal and written warnings, parking citations, criminal citations, removes and/or arrests violators. Works special events directly with the public to encourage voluntary compliance of city ordinances. Regulates parking in all city parks by several methods including, but not limited to, traffic control, signage, road barrier controls, citations and physical controls.
- Attends meetings and training sessions, as required.
- Coordinates with local and outside agencies for special events and emergencies within the city. Must understand and utilize the incident command system, (ICS).
- Performs other duties as may be required by the nature of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to analyze rapidly evolving situations and adopt effective and reasonable course of action.
- Ability to communicate policy, ordinances, routine and emergency traffic.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions, department policies, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of use and care of equipment and vehicles used by the City Marshal's Office.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- TCOLE Peace Officer license, Basic or higher is required.
- Completion of a Field Training, (FTO) program and 1 year of honorable service with a Law Enforcement agency.
- Valid Texas Driver's License.
- Ability to swim is required.
- Familiarization with modern police procedures and ICS operations is required.
- ATV safety certificate required or must be obtained within 12 months of employment.
- Must be able to successfully complete the departments Field Training Program within 12 months.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS JOB DIMENSIONS
- Some college
- Swift Water Rescue Technician certification or Whitewater Rescue Technician certification.
- AHA CPR Health Care Provider is required within 12 months.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must speak, read, and write the English language.
- Ability to write incident reports, correspondence, and memos.
- Extensive contact with the public; must be able to interact in a courteous and professional manner. Must apply and explain city ordinances and state laws; ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals including students, citizens, and civic groups.
- Must maintain a favorable relationship with the members of the police, fire and EMS departments as well as other city employees.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 75 pounds regularly. Subject to standing, walking, running, sitting, crouching and crawling lifting, pushing/pulling, reaching, kneeling, bending, twisting and climbing occasionally.
Vision to drive vehicle, observe scenes, identify license plates at day/night (at close and distant range). Color acuity required for identification of clothing, features, and characteristics of suspects and vehicles. To complete paperwork, read, conduct inspections, direct traffic, use firearms and other weapons.
Ability to smell to identify illegal substances, smoke and alcoholic beverages.
Working conditions involve the majority of the position's time spent outdoors, patrolling city parks in a variety of weather conditions. May be exposed to conditions which threaten safety and health. Must be able to work four weekend days per month from May to September and one of the three major summer holiday weekends. Works special events year round including evenings, weekends, and holidays. Position is Safety Sensitive.