Position Description An Equal Opportunity Employer Drug-Free Workplace Invites your interest for the position of SEXUAL ASSAULT FORENSIC EXAMINER - PER DIEM Posted: 01/22/21 Final Filing Date: Open Until Filled Priority Screening Date: 02/05/21 Exam # 21/52A93/01LPC Summary of Position
The Monterey County Health Department is seeking qualified Sexual Assault Forensic Examiners (SAFE) to fill multiple on-call, temporary, per diem positions. Under direction of the Medical Director and the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) Coordinator, the incumbent provides on-site adult suspected sexual assault and pediatric suspected sexual abuse exams on both victims and suspects as part of the County's SART interdisciplinary team comprised of the examiner, a law enforcement officer and an advocate. The position offers a standby rate of $240/24-hr shift (minimum of 5 shifts/month); examiners in training are compensated a flat rate of $250/examination observed or performed under observation; fully trained examiners are compensated a flat rate of $400/examination, in addition to eligibility for training reimbursement incentives.
SAFEs follow the Monterey County protocol to conduct medical-legal exams for victims and suspects of sexual assault. SAFEs are responsible for interviewing patients regarding their medical history and the history of the event, collect, photograph, and document findings. SAFEs offer prophylaxis against sexually transmitted infections, emergency contraception, and referrals for medical and behavioral health concerns related to the assault. SAFEs work with other members of the multidisciplinary Sexual Assault Response Team which include law enforcement officers, sexual assault counselors, emergency department personnel, the office of the District Attorney, pediatricians, behavioral health professionals, and child protective services. SAFEs may testify in court and perform other related duties as required.
The temporary position is on call and will respond to requests for exams when they occur during the assigned call shift. Exams are completed at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula and Natividad Medical Center. This temporary position provides an excellent opportunity to enhance medical, history-taking and documentation skills, in addition to learning about trauma-sensitive care and the collection and preservation of evidence. Training and on-going clinical supervision are provided in the following areas:
- Pelvic examination
- Colposcopy, anoscopy, and photography of injuries
- Documentation of evidence and sites of injury
- Evidentiary examination of the adult/adolescent and pediatric victim
- Evidentiary exam of the Suspect
This is a temporary, at-will position that serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority. The Eligible List established by this recruitment process will be used to fill current and future vacancies, both regular and temporary, as they arise in the Health Department.
Examples of Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Will have a minimum of one year's experience as a Registered Nurse or Physician's Assistant, demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities : Some knowledge of:
Skill and ability to:
- The use, administration and effects of medications, basic lab values, substance abuse
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Human growth and development
- Behavioral Health as it relates to trauma associated with sexual assault
- Screening for illness and injury and making appropriate referrals
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and effective communication with multidisciplinary personnel
- Ability to work long hours and various shifts under mental and physical strain, including standing for long periods of time for the purposes of performing sexual assault forensic exams
- Ability to use digital camera and information technology for the purposes of performing and documenting sexual assault forensic exams, processing evidence and ordering laboratory tests, and accessing lab results
- Ability to chart legibly, concisely, and accurately
- Ability to protect the rights of patients and maintain confidentiality
- Communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
Conditions of Employment :
- Excellent and courteous customer service
- Strong work ethic
- Highly motivated
- Able to multi-task and think critically
- Able to effective self-monitor
- Possess and maintain a valid and active California license as a Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, or Physician Assistant issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing or the Physician Assistant Committee of the Medical Board of California
- Successfully pass a pre-employment drug test as a condition of employment with Monterey County
- Successfully pass a pre-employment background check
- Apply for credentialing at Natividad Medical Center after completing necessary requirements to do so. Must be credentialed at Natividad Medical Center within six months of hire
- Provide a standby as required by appointing authority and report to location of sexual assault forensic exam within one hour of call
- Work in a facility where there is daily exposure to infectious diseases
- Work in a physically and emotionally demanding environment
- Possess and maintain a valid Class C driver's license or the ability to provide suitable transportation which is approved by the appointing authority
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education or training, typically: Experience:
A minimum of one year's work experience after successful completion of an approved Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner program and ability to provide the full scope of patient care in the area of sexual assault forensic exams. ANDEducation:
Current licensure as a Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner by the California Board of Registered Nursing, or successful completion of a Physician Assistant program and current licensure by the Physician Assistant Committee of the Medical Board of California.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at:
Additional Information APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES TO APPLY:
Submit the following application materials to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources
Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906 by the Priority Screen Date: Friday, February 5, 2021:
- Monterey County Employment Application
- Response to the Supplemental Questions
Or apply on-line at www.co.monterey.ca.us/personnel
Resumes may be submitted in addition to, but will not be accepted in lieu of, required application materials .
For a guaranteed review, all application materials must be received by the priority screen date of Friday, February 5, 2021. Applications received after this priority screen date will be considered on an as needed basis until the position is filled. Please be aware if the application form, responses to supplemental questions, and copies of Certificates is not submitted timely with other required application materials, the application will be removed from further consideration and not be considered further. The selection process is tentative, and applicants will be notified if changes are made.
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4394.
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at 831-755-4394.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below. BENEFITS: The County of Monterey abides by the Affordable Care Act for Temporary Employees (T Unit)
Temporary employees may be eligible to participate in the CalPERS Long Term Care insurance benefit. Additional information regarding this program is available from CalPERS.
See https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/government/departments-a-h/human-resources/human-resources/benefits/temporary-employees for more information (T bargaining Unit Summary of Benefits.)
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please call the Human Resources Analyst at (831) 755-4946.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.