Description Note: This recruitment was amended on February 15, 2020 to include OR Nurses.
Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on April 11, 2019 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous." Seeking experienced Perioperative Nurses for PACU/Recovery and OR positions!
Please note these positions are not intended for Nurse Graduates. Critical Care Experience is preferred for PACU/Recovery and OR positions.
Through growth and change, the San Mateo Medical Center remains committed to providing quality medical care to meet the health needs of the community. Our commitment is to provide quality care with a compassionate touch and we strive to help you maintain a balance between work and family. San Mateo Medical Center, a 509-bed integrated care facility, has been providing healthcare to our community and surrounding service area since 1930.
We are currently seeking motivated and experienced Perioperative Nurses
for our state-of-the art Surgical Department. Under supervision, OR Nurses
will ensure safety in the Operating Room
for surgeons and patients, scrubbing and circulating, and PACU Nurses
will take care of patients after surgery/in Recovery.
You will provide healthcare instructions to patient and family, maintain accurate and continued nursing documentation, including patient histories, observations, condition and assessment of changes.
You will administer and control medications and narcotics, including IV fluids and blood administration. You must have mastery of departmental equipment and technology. Seeking experienced Perioperative Nurses!
Please note this position is not intended for Nurse Graduates.
The ideal candidate
has a minimum of two years of experience in the Recovery Room or Operating Room of an acute care hospital and is knowledgeable in nursing care in the following areas: Patients having surgery in the following areas:
- General surgery
- Vascular surgery
- General anesthesia
- Spinal/epidural anesthesia
- Monitored anesthesia care (MAC)
- Procedural sedation
The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Complete patient assessments and triage, record patient histories, symptoms and observations.
- Establish and implement nursing care plans for each patient through assessment, development, activation and evaluation.
- Organize, assign and supervise duties and responsibilities of other staff members as a team leader; orient and teach new staff members of the nursing team and students.
- Perform nursing care following prescribed rules, policies, protocol and procedures.
- Identify problems, assist in data gathering, propose solutions and participate in evaluation of quality assurance issues.
- Work with patient and their families to provide in-hospital and after-hospital follow-up through teaching and referral.
- Participate in educational programs to maintain level of expertise.
- Participate in non-clinical assignments, which may include maintaining records, preparing reports and/or serving on special committees.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Administer treatment and medications.
- Maintain knowledge of outpatient resources.
- Develop discharge plans for patients.
- Perform related duties as assigned and as required by assigned work setting, as described below.
Duties for nurses in this series may also include the following:
- Perform pre-and post-operative nursing duties.
- Collect, interpret, record and communicate pertinent data relevant to the patient's care.
- Determine medical or psychiatric emergency need and provide intervention.
- Assist in the positioning of patients for surgery.
- Transfer patients to and from bed, gurney and/or operating table.
- Organize and coordinate schedules based on changes to patient status, the environment and procedures being administered.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Possession of a current California license as a Registered Nurse.
- Possession and maintenance of BLS certification.
- Possession and maintenance of an ACLS and/or PALS certification.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Current nursing and related medical theory and skills necessary to administer nursing care within assigned clinical setting.
- Safety and infection control practices.
- Clinical systems, supplies and equipment.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Perform nursing procedures required for assigned clinical setting.
- Comply with clinical procedures and policies.
- Maintain professional nurse-patient relationships.
- Communicate with and educate patients, families, and the public who come from a diverse background.
- Work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Follow safety practices.
- Assist in the instruction of other nursing and paraprofessional personnel.
- Bend, kneel and squat as needed.
- Occasionally use upper extremities to exert force to push and pull patients/objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more.
- Work in a busy environment.
Application/Examination Open & Promotional. Anyone may apply.
Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court of California employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination will consist of an interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position based solely on the information provided in the application materials. Because of this screening process, all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination . All examinations will be given in the County of San Mateo, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Deadline to Apply: TBD
Application Screening: TBD
Combination Panel/Department Interviews: TBDAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Carolyn Burns (032819) (Perioperative Nurse - F034)