San Mateo County Health's Public Health Laboratory is seeking well-qualified candidates for the position of Public Health Laboratory Assistant II-Extra Help
to provide assistance to laboratory professionals in the areas of test preparation, performance of specified tests, and preparation of media and reagents. Laboratory Assistants perform duties under close supervision and receive on-the job instruction from the Supervising Public Health Microbiologist, Microbiologists or Laboratory Technicians in all areas of environmental laboratory testing and related duties.
There are currently two extra help vacancies in the Public Health, Policy and Planning Division. The positions are located in San Mateo, CA, but may travel/drive throughout the county to perform duties of the job.
The ideal candidates
are experienced working in a laboratory setting; skilled in preparing laboratory specimens for testing; experienced in the practice of universal precautions; knowledgeable of environmental testing; experienced working with a Laboratory Information System (LIS) for both environmental and clinical databases; and able to work weekends, evenings and a variety of shifts, as necessary. NOTE
: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist licensed or certified laboratory professionals in the performance of tests, either in a medical laboratory or a public health laboratory setting.
- Prepare and stain smears for bacteriological and parasitological examination following prescribed techniques.
- Prepare specimens for shipping and maintain accurate records.
- Add test reagents to specimen or vice-versa in specified qualitative and semi-quantitative "spot, tablet, or stick" tests.
- Prepare clinical specimens for examination using prescribed methods such as labeling, concentration, centrifugation, decantation, filtration, etc.
- Maintain cleanliness in the laboratory work area, stocks of laboratory supplies and appropriate records.
- Perform minor clerical duties such as charging lab tests, logging slips, ordering tests in LIS, transcribing results which have been previously recorded, keeping records of temperatures, etcetera.
- Assist in the supervising and training of subordinate personnel.
- Perform tests on water and shellfish.
- Open animal heads and removes brain in the preparation for examination of rabies.
- Operate mechanical and electronic test instruments excluding standardization or calibration of instruments, reading and recording tests not done mechanically and quantitative measurements of samples and reagents.
- Inoculate a variety of clinical specimens and other laboratory samples onto appropriate media.
- Wash, rinse, dry, distribute, and store glassware such as test tubes, beakers, flasks, etc.
- Prepare reagents using prescribed formulas including calculation, weighing, compounding, and labeling.
- Operate and maintain autoclave, water purification equipment, and glassware washer.
- Pick up and distribute specimens from hospitals and clinics.
- Perform related work as required.
Possession of a valid California driver license or equivalent.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following must be submitted via e-mail:
- Responses to supplemental questions
- This position requires possession of a valid California driver license or equivalent. Do you possess a valid driver license? (A "No" response will disqualify you as you do not meet this requirement.)
- Describe the experience, training, and education that have prepared you for a position of Laboratory Assistant II in a Public Health Laboratory. Be specific.
- Describe in detail your experience with specimen processing. Be specific.
- Describe in detail your experience handling laboratory equipment. Be specific.
- Describe in detail your experience using PPE. Be specific.
- Which of the following computer programs have you used for at least 6 months full-time in a work setting? (indicate all that apply)
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Microsoft Outlook
Please include the words "Public Health Laboratory Assistant II-Extra Help
" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format. Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Dr. Morris S. Jones, Assistant Public Health Laboratory Directormjones@smcgov.org
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (resume and responses to supplemental questions) will not be considered. The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.