San Mateo Medical Center is seeking experienced applicants for the position of Laboratory Assistant II - Relief
. Under general supervision of the Laboratory Support Services Supervisor, Laboratory Assistant II's provide assistance to laboratory professionals in the areas of test preparation, collection of blood samples, performance of specified tests, and preparation of media and reagents.
Duties include, but are not limited to, adding test reagents to specimen or vice-versa in specified qualitative and semi-qualitative "spot, tablet or stick" tests; performing venous and skin punctures to obtain blood samples for test purposes; operating mechanical and electrical test instruments; preparing clinical specimens for examination using prescribed methods such as labeling, concentration, centrifugation, decantation, filtration, etc.; preparing specimens for shipping; assisting in the supervision and training of subordinate personnel; performing minor clerical duties; and performing other related duties as assigned.The ideal candidate has:
The current vacancies are Four Part-Time, Relief vacancies.NOTE:
- Experience in pediatric, geriatric, inpatient, and outpatient phlebotomy including, but not limited to, specimen processing in microbiology, pathology, and send outs.
- Experience working within a hospital laboratory setting.
- Skilled in the use of Novius Lab and eClinicalWorks (e-CW) electronic medical record applications, as well as InVision software.
- Ability to work independently.
- Willingness to adapt to change and learn new skills.
- Customer service experience.
- Previous experience communicating directly with nurses and physicians.
- At least one year of inpatient experience and one year of outpatient experience, including ICU, pediatrics and geriatrics.
- Certified Phlebotomy Technicians (CPT) certification.
- Fluency in an additional language is a plus.
The hourly wage for "relief" classifications is 5% above the rate for regular employees in the same classification.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is two years of experience working in a clinical, public health, environmental, food or other biological laboratory.Licensure/Certification:
- San Mateo Medical Center positions require possession of a valid phlebotomy certificate issued by the State of California. (Note: Graduation from high school or possession of a GED is a requirement for this certificate.)
- Possession of a valid California driver license or equivalent.
- Laboratory methods and techniques used in the preparation of media, reagents, and test.
- Infection control principles and practices;
- Techniques for disinfecting, sterilizing, and glassware washing.
- Operation of laboratory equipment and instruments such as autoclaves, ovens, incubators and centrifuges.
- Laboratory safety procedures.
- Proper specimen processing procedures; department and hospital safety practices and procedures; patient rights; infection control policies and practices; handling, storage, use and disposal of hazardous materials; department and hospital emergency response policies and procedures.
- Operate laboratory equipment and instruments such as autoclaves, ovens, incubators, and centrifuges accurately and safely.
- Make mathematic calculations using simple formulas including percentages and ratios.
- Measure liquid and solid materials using graduated glassware and weighing devices.
- Comprehend and meticulously follow oral and written procedural and safety instructions contained in standard procedural manuals.
- Deal tactfully with the public and co-workers.
- Perform venipuncture and finger punctures.
If you are interested in being considered for this extra help position, the following materials must be electronically submitted in a Word or PDF format.
- Cover letter
- Responses to these supplemental questions:
- Positions in the San Mateo Medical Center Laboratory Department require the possession of a valid and current phlebotomy certificate issued by the State of California. Provide the following: 1) license number and 2) expiration date.
- This position requires possession of a valid California class C driver license or equivalent. Provide the following: 1) driver license number and 2) expiration date.
- Describe the experience, education and training that has prepared you for a position as Laboratory Assistant II. Be specific.
- In your own words, define "Universal Precautions" as it relates to laboratory assistants.
- In your own words, define Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance as it relates to laboratory assistants.
- Do you have experience drawing blood in the following settings? For EACH of the settings you selected, list the employers' name and dates worked.
- Acute Care Hospital
- Long-term Care Facility
- Reference Laboratory
- Doctor's Office/Outpatient Clinic
- None of the above
- How many years of on-the-job experience do you have drawing blood?
- Which of the following computer programs have you used for at least 6 months in a work setting?
- Novius Lab
- eClinicalWorks (eCW)
- Microsoft Office Suite
- None of the above
- Laboratory Assistants may be required to work various shifts and hours. Please check your availability below:
- AM Shift (5:30am - 2:00pm)
- PM Shift (2:00pm - 10:30pm)
- Night Shift (10:30pm - 7:00am)
- Fluency in another language is preferred but not required. Are you fluent in another language in addition to English? Which language are you fluent in.
Please include the words "Laboratory Assistant II - Relief"
in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Chad Below, Clinical Services Manager II-Laboratorycbelow@smcgov.orgThis is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.Apply immediately. Resumés will be accepted until the position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (Cover Letter, Resume and responses to the supplemental questions) will not be considered. At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Ximena Burns (090121) (Laboratory Assistant II - F156)