Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on September 9, 2021 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The Business Systems Group of the Human Service Agency is seeking a qualified Information Technology (IT) Report Analyst
. Under general supervision, the IT Report Analyst will be responsible for developing reports on varied data sources, mining data through a number of data sources, data analytic, crafting and executing queries upon request of data, presenting data through reports and visualization, Business Intelligence Dashboard/KPIs development/support, general departmental automation effort, and custom reporting on varied systems.Under general supervision, the incumbent may perform, but not limited to, the following duties:
The ideal candidate will:
- Serving as Subject Matter Expert for application specific databases to support the information needs of users at all levels of the Agency. The application specific databases include, but not limited to, the databases for the CalWIN, CalSAWS, CWS/CMS, and HMIS applications.
- Designing and developing ad hoc database queries.
- Designing, developing, and maintaining reports and dashboards on a variety of Business Intelligence platforms.
- Designing, developing, and maintaining data mart/data warehouse solutions.
- Performing data retrieval, data analysis and data mining activities within and across enterprise databases, data marts and data warehouses.
- Designing and implementing visual presentation for reports and dashboards.
- Providing Help Desk support to fulfill end-user report requests, monitoring and maintaining scheduled reports and backend data loads/replications, and administering Business Intelligence platforms including but not limited to: SAP BusinessObjects, Oracle OBIEE, Looker Business Intelligence, Qlik and Information Builders' WebFocus and iWay.
- Serving as San Mateo County representative in various State and Consortium technical committees.
- Managing the operation, maintenance, and upgrading of data systems;
- Overseeing and guiding the work of technical support staff participating in system installation and/or enhancement projects;
- Conducting end-user training;
- Serving as technical advisor and liaison to vendors, contractors and department staff on system applications, software products, services and issues;
- Performing related duties as required.
- Have at least five years of increasing responsible experiences in information technology support.
- Possess solid knowledge of relational database concepts, data modeling technics, and data warehousing concepts.
- Highly experienced in working with Relational Database Management Systems such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, etc.
- Proficient in advanced SQL query and report development skills.
- Hands-on experience with business process analysis, data modeling, database design, and data integration.
- Hands-on experience developing highly functional reports, dashboards, or KPIs that interface to multiple data sources.
- Experience with data analysis using statistics and machine learning techniques is desirable. Hands-on experience with Business Intelligence Software such as:
- Oracle OBIEE and BI Publisher
- Information Builders WebFOCUS v8.x and/or iWay
- SAP Business Objects
Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a firm sense of accountability and ownership for end-to-end project lifecycles.Possess understanding of technical design principles and experience in developing and implementing standards and best practices.Possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups spanning all organizational levels.Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities.Ability to be flexible and work well in a high-pressure production environment with frequent priority change.Excellent customer service skills and experience in IT support of a diverse user community.Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a firm sense of accountability and ownership for end-to end project task.Experience in developing and implementing standards and best practices.Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical user groups.Experience working with vendors as a support professional to drive resolution to issues and establish lifecycle management plans. NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is two years of experience in application development and support. Knowledge of:
Data processing principles, concepts and terminology; business mathematics; record keeping and filing principles and practices and job planning and prioritizing techniques; operations, purposes, and functions of the application being supported and information needs and requirements of the systems users. Skill/Ability to:
Analyze operational and systems problems, evaluate alternatives and reach sound conclusions; use initiative and sound independent judgment within established procedural guidelines to support automation systems; prepare clear, concise and accurate documentation, instructions, correspondence and other written materials; develop and present comprehensive training material for the appropriate area; maintain accurate records and files; organize work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; provide support to multiple users of broad based applications; install and support hardware and software used by the department; respond effectively to user problems and needs; plan and coordinate the work of others; communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with both technical and non-technical personnel; analyze user requirements and recommend appropriate data automation products.
Application/Examination Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply.
Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five (5) points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form.
The examination will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations, or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in County of San Mateo, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply. ~ Tentative Recruitment Schedule ~Final Filing Date: TBDScreening Date: TBDCombined Panel Interview: TBD At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Arlene Cahill (Information Technology Analyst - V235)