The Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo, is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Court Interpreter (Spanish-Speaking).
The primary focus of this position is to provide simultaneous interpretation
of court proceedings to Spanish-speaking parties. In addition, Court Interpreters may perform a wide variety of other language interpretation activities on an assigned and as needed basis for the Court, litigants, and the public.Important:
This position requires
certification as a Court Interpreter with the Judicial Council of California on behalf of the State of California. For more information on how to become certified as a Court Interpreter, please visit the Superior Court of California web site at http://www.courts.ca.gov/programs-interpreters.htm
The eligible list generated from this recruitment could be used to fill current and future positions, including full-time and part-time positions. If you are interested in working for the Superior Court of California in San Mateo County as a Court Interpreter (Spanish Speaking), you are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications Certification Requirement:
- Certification as a Court Interpreter with the Judicial Council of California on behalf of the State of California.
- The ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English and Spanish is required for this position.
- Interpreter ethics and standards, as stipulated in California Rules of Court, Rule 984.4.
- Professional Conduct of Interpreters.
- Correct usage of grammar in both English and Spanish.
- Concentrate and deliver interpreting services in a busy and fast-paced environment.
- Adjust to speakers with differing voices and accents at varying rates of speed.
- Travel to different court locations using own vehicle or utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to travel to different work locations.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all levels of judicial, professional, administrative, and support personnel.
- Adhere to the professional code of ethics and protocols as stipulated in California Rules of Court.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Operate office equipment, including computer, telephone, and copiers.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
Current San Mateo County employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.Important:
The supplemental questionnaire must be completed in addition to our regular employment application form.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based solely on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. A screening committee will select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a departmental interview (weight: 100%) which may include a writing and/or performance exercise(s) given before, during, or after the interview.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be held in San Mateo County and applicants must participate at their own expense.Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply'
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
This is a continuous recruitment. The screening of applications and subsequent interviews will occur in an ongoing process. The position can be filled at any time. If you are interested in the position of Court Interpreter, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. All applicants will be notified of their status throughout the process. The Superior Court of California, San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Analyst: Sedrick Dixon (05152020) (Court Interpreter - X065)