Under general supervision, the Distribution/Collection Technician II coordinates, performs, and assists in the supervision and maintenance of the City’s water/wastewater projects and initiatives; operates all heavy equipment and maintains various types of maintenance equipment and tools; prepares and maintains records and ensures compliance with regulatory agency guidelines.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:Knowledge:
- Operates heavy equipment in the repair and maintenance of water & wastewater mains, service lines, fire hydrants, water meters, valves, manholes and water/wastewater service lines;
- Operates and maintains assigned departmental vehicles, equipment and tools
- Utilizes technology to record the location of water/wastewater mains, vales, hydrants, meters and meter boxes.
- Conducts service line inspections using closed circuit television equipment
- Participates in the repair, testing, and replacement of water lines and meters.
- Operates and maintains work order and/or line locate request management system.
- Analyzes and monitors water production system processes, and identifies and implements intermediate to advanced level process adjustments to ensure optimum performance of facility.
- Monitors and performs housekeeping duties to insure a safe working environment.
- Trains and mentors other employees.
- Participates in the troubleshooting, and preventive maintenance of a variety of equipment including pumps, piping and valves.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships and public relations.
- May assist in identifying maintenance requirements, developing preventive maintenance strategies and plans and performing root cause analysis of equipment failures, and makes recommendations based on findings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ensures adherence to safety procedures and programs.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Wastewater treatment principles, methods and practices.
- Methods, techniques and equipment used in wastewater treatment.
- Local, state and federal laws, codes, regulations and permits affecting wastewater treatment operations.
- Recordkeeping and reporting procedures.
- Safety rules and regulations.
- Business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications.
- Handling situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgment.
- Understanding and applying City policies and procedures.
- Compiling data; maintaining records and files; and preparing clear and concise reports.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School diploma or equivalent; AND two years’ experience in Municipal Utilities maintenance and repair operations; OR
an equivalent combination of education and experience.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Distribution D and Collection II license required
- Class A CDL required
Work is performed both in an indoor and outdoor work environment. May be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, potential physical harm, hazardous chemicals and infectious diseases. May be required to climb ladders. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 100 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: July 29, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST