Examples of Duties This recruitment is being established to obtain a current eligible list for both full time and Extra-Help vacancies. Extra-Help pay rate is up to a maximum of $ 1 6.92 per hour. Extra- Help employees are not entitled to County benefits and are limited to a maximum of 25 hours per week. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide assistance to patrons in locating materials and instructs in the use of library materials, card and on-line catalogs.
- Process requests for books, or other materials through the Interlibrary Loan system.
- Explain library rules and procedures.
- Issue library cards.
- Processes returned books.
- Shelves and prepares library materials for circulation.
- Search for lost or misplaced materials.
- Research less complex reference questions.
- Presents programming, story times, tours, and outreach events.
- Maintain records of materials overdue.
- Collect fines or fees.
- Organize and display material.
- Create and assemble visual aids.
- May plan and promote special activities and weekly programs such as story time and the summer reading program.
- May conduct library tours.
- Identify problems and may take action to correct or refer to superior as needed.
- May train and/or direct the work of extra-help or work program participants.
- Operate typewriter, microfiche, computers, and other office machines.
- Utilize the computer to catalog library materials and maintain the community services information file.
- Perform copy cataloging of fiction and new editions of books.
- May utilize computer to make flyers, signs, holdings, lists, overbuys and letters.
- May keep routine statistical data.
- May train to initiate correspondence with publishers to resolve difficulties with orders or invoices.
- Train/Index and maintain special collections including telephone books and documents.
- May train/assist with library automation projects and the on-line cataloging of materials.
- Research and assist patrons with reference questions.
- May keep statistics of daily circulation and other data.
- May be assigned to the Bookmobile.
Minimum Qualifications Library Assistant IExperience:
Two (2) years of clerical experience, preferably including experience in library clerical work. (General college course-work may substitute for the required experience on a year for year basis)Library Assistant IIExperience:
One (1) year of experience equivalent to that of a Library Assistant I in Merced County.SOME POSITIONS IN THIS CLASSIFICATION WILL BE SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECKS PURSUANT TO THE HUMAN RESOURCES RULES AND REGULATIONS, SECTION 2, B.
Some positions in this classification may require possession of a valid California driver's license. Employees who drive on County business to carry out job-related duties must possess a valid California driver's license for the class of vehicle driven and meet automobile insurability requirements of the County.
Essential Functions ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Operate typewriter, microfiche, computers, and other office machines.
- Communicate effectively with others in person, in writing, and over the telephone.
- Analyze data, interpret directions, procedures and regulations, and develop appropriate responses.
- Perform job duties under stressful conditions.
- Respond appropriately to situations.
- Maintain confidential information in accordance with legal standards and/or County regulations.
- Frequent use of depth perception, peripheral vision and color perception.
- Frequently lift, carry, reach, push, pull, twist and manipulate large and small objects.
- Kneel, bend, twist, squat, balance and crawl.
- Frequent use of hand-eye coordination.
- Frequent use of data entry device including repetitive hand and arm motion.
- Frequently lift and move with help, objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and move with help, objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Normal dexterity, frequent holding and grasping.
- Regular attendance is an essential function.
- Computer applications for library services.
- Books, sources, bibliographies, reference materials, and classification systems.
- Techniques for effective community services.
- Organization and functions of a public library.
- Library policies and procedures.
- Perform a variety of library clerical work.
- Assists patrons in the use of library facilities and materials.
- Research and locate library materials using on-line catalog.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship with the patrons and others.
HOLIDAYS & LEAVES
- Type at a corrected rate of 40 words per minute from clear copy.
10 days the first 5 years of continuous employment (limited to a maximum of 160 hours), 15 days in the second 5 years of continuous employment (limited to a maximum of 240 hours), and 20 days after 10 years of continuous employment (limited to a maximum of 320 hours).
.0462 hours sick leave for each paid regularly scheduled work hour. 12 days (96 hours per year) with unlimited accumulation. Optional annual buy back of a portion of accumulated sick leave hours upon meeting certain criteria.
Twelve paid holidays annually plus one optional holiday.
Three (3) regularly scheduled work days or five (5) days if distance traveled over 500 miles one-way.
County paid health plan with maximum contributions; 100% for employee up to maximum of $420, 50% of dependent up to maximum of $100 for child/$220 for spouse biweekly. County paid dental and vision plans, 100% for employee, with 50% of dependent premiums paid by the County.
County sponsored employee health clinic available for zero or reduced co-pay depending on selected health plan. DISABILITY INSURANCE
State Disability Insurance - Benefit based on highest quarter during previous calendar year. Employee pays premium.
$10,000 County-paid coverage (Accidental Death and Dismemberment included). Voluntary Term Life and Universal Life Insurance available - premium paid by employee.
The County offers a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan. Employees choose their investment funds and can make pretax contributions to the plan up to the maximum allowable.
MERCED COUNTY EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT ASSOCIATION The retirement plan is a defined benefit plan administered pursuant to the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937 and other provisions of the California Government Code. MCERA members also pay into Social Security.The applicable benefit formula is dependent upon your hire date with an MCERA employer; yourpension amount will be determined by your age, years of service and final compensation amount.EXTRA HELP EMPLOYEES DO NOT QUALIFY FOR COUNTY BENEFITS.
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP)
MHNEAP services provides up to five face-to-face counseling sessions per incident and provides a toll-free "800" hotline available 24/7 for emergencies and crisis intervention. EAP services include counseling services, legal services, financial services and Worklife Resource services.
For more informationlogonto members.mhn.com.
EMPLOYEE TICKETS, COUPONS, and DISCOUNTS
The County of Merced has partnered with Employee Savings Tickets to provide discounted coupons and tickets for all county employees to attractions throughout the state and out-of-state. The discounts and coupons are available for shopping, movies, sporting events, theme parks, zoos and aquariums and much more.
THIS BULLETIN IS NOT A CONTRACT AND DOES NOT CREATE CONTRACTUAL OR LEGAL RIGHTS ON BEHALF OF ANY EMPLOYEE. THIS BULLETIN IS SUBJECT OF BEING SUPPLEMENTED, MODIFIED, WITHDRAWN OR OTHERWISE CHANGED PENDING LABOR AGREEMENTS AND/OR AT THE DISCRETION OF THE COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICER OR AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS DEEM NECESSARY.
For answers to specific questions regarding employee benefits, please call Human Resources at 209.385.7682 or go to Merced County Benefits Summary
It is the responsibility of the employee to provide transportation to the worksite. There are twelve libraries located throughout the county. Employees are assigned to library work sites based on business needs not preference or distance. Do you have reliable transportation?
How would you quantify your ability to use email: Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced user?
This recruitment is being established to fill both full time and part time positions. Please indicate below all types of work you would be willing to accept:
- Full Time Only
- Part Time Only
- Either Full Time or Part Time
Within Merced County Library there are no guaranteed hours for extra-help on-call positions. How many hours are guaranteed to an extra-help employee?