The City of Fort Lauderdale community builders possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
Performs progressively responsible work in the operation and maintenance of a treatment plant and related equipment. Monitors automated plant equipment through visual inspection for proper operating parameters and mechanical integrity. Maintains a plant log detailing specific information to be saved for record and following shifts. Takes samples at multiple sample points for laboratory analysis and compares to automated instrumentation outputs; records and presents findings as appropriate. The City offers a wide variety of benefits to employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which offers an investment option and a pension option, and requires a 3% contribution from employees. New hires are automatically enrolled in FRS. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Performs chemical analysis to ensure it meets highest quality standards
- Observes and report any abnormalities in quality or equipment around the plant
- Monitors injection well tests; inspects storage tanks around the plant
- Assists in the preparation of various reports; documents sampling results on plant documents
- Reads a variety of charts and meters; maintains accurate log sheets
- Collects samples from different stages of treatment for chemical, physical, or biological analysis
- Prepares work order requests to repair or calibrate plant equipment
- Records and orders chemicals and supplies needed to test samples to analysis; receives and logs in all chemicals and supplies delivered
- Assists in transferring chemicals from bulk tanks to day tanks, as needed.
- Attends department meetings and/or safety classes as requested
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations and standard operating procedures and Federal, State, and County regulations
- Monitors automated plant equipment through visual inspection for proper operating parameters and mechanical integrity; maintains a plant log detailing specific information
- Operates and adjusts pumps, agitators, computers, valves, and other equipment in order to maintain the highest degree of treatment
- Collaborates with maintenance staff on specific projects from an operational perspective; adjusts or bypasses specific areas, processes, or equipment to ensure consistent treatment, plant integrity, and safety as required
- Receives, tests, stores, monitors, changes, and returns liquid chlorine cylinders as needed.
- Works around high voltage, rotating equipment and various hazardous chemicals.
- May assist in instructing and familiarizing trainees with the various aspects of plant operation
- Performs related work as required
PLEASE UPLOAD A COPY OF
- High School Diploma on G.E.D. equivalency six (6) months or more of additional training
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience in the operation of water treatment plant.
- State of Florida Class C Certified Operator's License in water.
State of Florida Class C Certified Operator's License in waterSpecial Requirements: Essential Employees
may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work. HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening, prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ).