ATTENTION Merit System Employees: Do not apply through this site.If you are a current Merit System employee, please click HERE to log intothe internal career site.
for Salary Ranges
Data Management Technicians provide a wide variety of specialized support services in an IT and data environment. Technicians resolve problems for users of electronic systems by investigating and correcting problems. Data Management Technicians prepare and run computer queries and other reporting tools that pull and analyze data from established databases to produce reports that best meet the needs of end users. Data Management Technicians generate ad hoc and recurring reports, maintain databases and monitor interfaces files. Technicians also create spreadsheets and databases. Technicians provide support for various departments and end users with their data and technology requirements. Data Management Technicians work in an office setting. There are no supervisory duties for this position.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Prepares and runs computer queries and other reporting tools that pull and analyze data from established databases to produce reports that best meet the needs of end users.
- Receives user requests for data analysis and reports and responds according to priorities established by supervisor.
- Participates as member of departmental team that interfaces other areas of the department and outside agencies/organizations regarding data collection, database management, and report generation.
- Confers with team and end users to get input into the kinds of information needed to be archived, extracted, and reported through data processing.
- Researches new data sources, analytical tools, and reporting methods.
- Prepares documents and reports to establish and communicate analytical and reporting procedures to team members and end users of reports.
- Interprets and documents new system changes as they affect data, reports, and reporting systems.
- Reviews output reports to determine basic characteristics, such as origin and report flow, format, frequency, distribution, and purpose or function of report.
The following Minimum Qualifications are required for this job. You must demonstrate possession of these qualifications by providing a detailed description of your related experience in the work history section of your application. Please note that replicating or restating these minimum qualifications or the information from the Personnel Board's job description as your own work experience will result in your disqualification. Please describe your work experience in your own words to represent the work you have performed that is related to the minimum qualifications for this job.
- Experience with relational databases management system (e.g., Oracle, SQL, DMS-II) concepts for querying data.
- Experience writing database queries to create reporting output (e.g., using either T-SQL, PL/SQL, Crystal Reports, Report Manager, Report Builder, etc.).
- Adaptability & Flexibility.
- Computer & Technology Operations.
- Customer Service.
- Learning & Memory.
- Mathematical & Statistical Skills.
- Oral Communication & Comprehension.
- Planning & Organizing.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Professionalism & Integrity.
- Researching & Referencing.
- Reviewing, Inspecting & Auditing.
- Self-Management & Initiative.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal.
- Technical & Job-Specific Knowledge. Written Communication & Comprehension.
- Knowledge of computer fundamentals and software, including database, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
- Knowledge of database design and development using MS SQL Server, MS Access, Oracle, etc.
- Knowledge of relational and/or hierarchical databases (e.g., MS SQL, Oracle, IMS, DMSII, etc.) and their operations.
Work is conducted almost exclusively indoors in an office setting. Work involves use of standard office equipment, such as computer, phone, copier, etc.
Job is primarily sedentary involving sitting for long periods of time, but may involve occasional walking or standing for brief periods. The job may involve occasional lifting of items or objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of the job duties, responsibilities, or skills and abilities required to do the job and may be changed at the discretion of the Personnel Board at any time.
Persons requiring special conditions to accommodate a disability when completing the application should contact the Personnel Board at 205-279-3500 before the announcement closing date. Qualified applicants who believe they will need reasonable accommodation in the examination process should complete and submit an Accommodation Request Form. You may obtain an Accommodation Request Form by contacting our ADA Ombudsperson at ADAO@pbjcal.org, or by accessing the "Request for Accommodation" form through the following website: http://www.pbjcal.org/
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Personnel Board of Jefferson County (Personnel Board) provides a public personnel system based on merit principles. The Personnel Board strives for the constant improvement of the public service by employing and developing the best qualified persons available. The Personnel Board provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, political beliefs, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employment decisions are made by the Merit System municipality or governmental agency in which the position exists. Each Merit System municipality, agency, or jurisdiction administers its own equal employment opportunity programs in compliance with applicable state and/or federal laws and regulations.