ATTENTION Merit System Employees: Do not apply through this site.If you are a current Merit System employee, please click HERE to log intothe internal career site.
for Salary Ranges
Traffic Planning Technicians working within the Merit System are responsible for planning and conducting various types of traffic studies in accordance with MUTCD guidelines. Through these traffic studies, Traffic Planning Technicians gather traffic data and information through various means (e.g., verbal interviews, monitoring the traffic management center computers and cameras, etc.) in order to compile data and complete traffic studies, analyze traffic patterns, and improve roadway traffic flow. Individuals in this job class also inspect traffic control devices and/or construction zones in the field (e.g., traffic signals, traffic signs, street lights, and markings) to ensure their operation, visibility, and compliance with traffic engineering plans and MUTCD regulations. Their work is performed under the direction of a supervisor and is reviewed for accuracy and adherence to policies and procedures.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Communicates with coworkers, supervisors, governmental agencies or departments, private contractors, and members of the public; using verbal, written, and electronic communication, in order to identify and solve problems related to the flow of traffic.
- Provides safety information, route maps, and safety resources to community schools in order to ensure pedestrian safety in school zones.
- Inspects traffic control devices and/or construction zones in the field (e.g., traffic signals, traffic signs, street lights, and markings) in order to ensure their operation, visibility, and compliance with traffic engineering plans and MUTCD regulations.
- Gathers traffic data and information through various means (e.g., verbal interviews, monitoring the traffic management center computers and cameras, etc.) in order to compile data and complete traffic studies, analyze traffic patterns, and improve roadway traffic flow.
- Creates and maintains records, databases, and files in order to ensure that records are accurate and able to be systematically accessed and retrieved.
- Creates traffic drawings and/or maps of intersections and roadways using computer software or drafting utensils in order to accurately depict the layout of traffic control devices, streetlights, intersections, and roadways.
- Plans various types of traffic studies in accordance with MUTCD guidelines in order to gather data on existing traffic flow and traffic control infrastructure, vehicle and pedestrian traffic patterns, and sight obstructions on roadways and intersections.
The following Minimum Qualifications are required for this job. You must demonstrate possession of these qualifications by providing a detailed description of your related experience in the work history section of your application. Please note that replicating or restating these minimum qualifications or the information from the Personnel Board's job description as your own work experience will result in your disqualification. Please describe your work experience in your own words to represent the work you have performed that is related to the minimum qualifications for this job.
- Driver's license.
- Associate's degree or higher in Civil Engineering Technology, Construction & Building Science, Civil Design & Architecture or a related field of study.
- Driver's license.
- Experience applying technical standards (ex. MUTCD) to design and/or construction projects while following applicable local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Experience drawing and reading technical drawings and descriptions such as maps, plans, specification sheets, field reviews, etc. in order to determine information such as location, scale, dimensions, etc.
- Experience using spreadsheets, databases, and processing computer software (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) in order to maintain documentation, create reports and maps, etc.
- Experience working with AutoCAD, MicroStation, or other drafting software.
- Experience working with GIS mapping software.
- Experience working with Sketchup, Adobe Photoshop, or other modeling/graphic design software.
- Experience interpreting and applying MUTCD, NACTO, AASHTO transportation technical standards.
- Adaptability & Flexibility.
- Computer & Technology Operations.
- Customer Service.
- Heavy Equipment & Vehicle Use.
- Leadership & Management.
- Learning & Memory.
- Mathematical & Statistical Skills.
- Oral Communication & Comprehension.
- Planning & Organizing.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Researching & Referencing.
- Reviewing, Inspecting & Auditing.
- Self-Management & Initiative.
- Sensory Abilities.
- Small Tool & Equipment Use.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal.
- Technical & Job-Specific Knowledge.
- Technical Skills.
- Training & Facilitation.
- Written Communication & Comprehension.
- Knowledge of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and other applicable standards related to traffic.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of various traffic control devices.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations involved with heavy or construction equipment operations and transportation.
- Knowledge of traffic planning, practices, and principles of traffic control devices (and roadways).
- Knowledge of traffic signal operation principles including justification, functionality, design, maintenance, and timing.
- Knowledge of various road signs and markings as described in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Work is conducted both indoors in office setting as well as regular field visits to external worksites.
- Work involves use of standard office equipment, such as computer, phone, copier, etc.
- Work may also involve the occasional use of various hand tools such as hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.
- Workers may be exposed to weather conditions, such as extreme hot or cold temperatures, or other potentially hazardous conditions such as near roadway traffic, etc.
- Job is primarily sedentary involving sitting and/or walking for long periods of time but may involve moderate physical exertion required for occasional prolonged periods such as bending, stooping, crawling or climbing.
- May involve occasional light lifting of items or objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of the job duties, responsibilities, or skills and abilities required to do the job and may be changed at the discretion of the Personnel Board at any time.
Persons requiring special conditions to accommodate a disability when completing the application should contact the Personnel Board at 205-279-3500 before the announcement closing date. Qualified applicants who believe they will need reasonable accommodation in the examination process should complete and submit an Accommodation Request Form. You may obtain an Accommodation Request Form by contacting our ADA Ombudsperson at ADAO@pbjcal.org, or by accessing the "Request for Accommodation" form through the following website: http://www.pbjcal.org/
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Personnel Board of Jefferson County (Personnel Board) provides a public personnel system based on merit principles. The Personnel Board strives for the constant improvement of the public service by employing and developing the best qualified persons available. The Personnel Board provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, political beliefs, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employment decisions are made by the Merit System municipality or governmental agency in which the position exists. Each Merit System municipality, agency, or jurisdiction administers its own equal employment opportunity programs in compliance with applicable state and/or federal laws and regulations.