Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at:
http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ Mohave County Public Works Department is now recruiting for a Road Maintenance Worker Specialist - Blade Operator in Colorado City
Advanced journey level work involved in the operation of equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of county-maintained roads and property. This position is in the Road Maintenance Worker series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the complexity of duties assigned and the effective operation of equipment with specialized operation of a specific piece of heavy equipment. Incumbents at this level are required to be fully trained in all related procedures and specifically to an assigned piece of equipment.
Positions are normally filled by advancement from the Road Maintenance Worker series with appropriate specific on-the-job training of the operation and utilization of a piece of equipment, or when filled from outside, requires prior general equipment operation experience of medium to heavy equipment and experience specific to the equipment assignment. Appointment to this level requires that the incumbent be performing the full range of duties and meet the qualification standards for the class. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under the general supervision of a higher level of authority. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May provide technical supervision to Road Maintenance Workers and Road Maintenance Worker Seniors in the absence of Crew leader or Supervisor. May exercise functional supervision of subordinates to include overseeing, assigning and directing the activities of a work crew. Based on work assignment, determines the best course of action.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work is subject to varying job site assignments and may be subject to call back, overtime, and irregular schedules including completion of work assignments on weekends and holidays.
- Performs a variety of road maintenance and repair tasks by performing various manual labor assignments, such as, but not limited to: checking grade of road, mixing asphalt, shoveling, raking, chip sealing, patching, sweeping, trimming trees, weeding, mowing, removing debris, installing cattle guards, placing of barricades and cones, and flagging of traffic.
- Utilizes various hand and power tools and equipment such as: jackhammers, compressors, drills, chain saw, mower, shovel, rake, and weed eater.
- Operates, maintains and services a specific assigned piece of equipment to include: remote blade, tractor/ trailer, chip spreader, 4,000 gallon water truck, bituminous distributor, or laydown machine.
- Operates and services equipment in the maintenance and repair of roads and to haul materials and equipment. Utilizes heavy equipment which consists of: backhoe, screening plant, scraper, dozer and blade, tandem axle truck, front end loaders, rollers, and sweepers. Light equipment which consists of: single axle truck, tractor/mower, and other related equipment.
- Direct equipment to perform work assignments, such as, but not limited to: sweeping road/street, watering road, cleaning and installing culverts, rolling asphalt, loading trucks, hauling heavy equipment and materials.
- Adheres to safety procedures in work areas and in performance of work assignments
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Cleans, maintains and services required equipment and tools used during performance of work assignments.
- Adheres to equipment operating requirements established by manufacturer and by department policy and procedures.
- Provides responsible operation of county equipment concurrent with industry practice and license requirements.
- Adheres to performance specifications when issued for routine of job specific work.
- Provides appropriate traffic control when required and in accordance with county standards.
- Train Road Maintenance Workers and Road Maintenance Worker Seniors in the proper use of construction equipment including start up and shut down procedures.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School Diploma/GED (General Education Degree)
- Five (5) years actual operating experience of a specific piece of equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of roads such as a Road Maintenance Worker or Road Maintenance Worker Senior or related field involving the operation of equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of roads, streets, and property.
- An equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid Driver's License for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License Class A with N Endorsement (tank vehicle), without E Restriction (manual transmission), without L Restriction (air brakes), without O Restriction (fifth wheel connection), and without Z Restriction (air brakes), within six (6) months of appointment to the position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Road maintenance and repair methods and materials such as understanding grade stakes and methods of drainage.
- Operation and servicing of heavy equipment utilized in the performance of work in the construction, maintenance and repair of roads.
- Traffic laws, ordinances and regulations involved in equipment operation such as Arizona's Bule Stake Law and heavy equipment and tractor/trailer operations.
- Safety hazards, practices and procedures related to road maintenance repair work and the operation of heavy equipment.
- Distribution of appropriate quantities of materials and the methods of distributing the materials used in the maintenance of roads.
- Use and care of equipment, tools, and materials used in road maintenance and repair activities.
- Safe and effective operation and servicing of medium to heavy equipment including, but not limited to: chip spreader, tractor/trailer, remote blade, water truck, bituminous distributor and laydown machine.
- Effectively service, maintain and operate assigned equipment and other related equipment and tools in accordance with standard operating and safety procedures.
- Work independently and determine best course of action to effectively perform work assignments.
- Fulfill physical requirements of work assignments.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel and general public.
- Understand and follow, quickly and accurately, oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with persons of diverse Ethnic, Educational and Economic backgrounds, and personnel contacted in the course of work.
- Drive a manual shift transmission.
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.