Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at:
http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ Mohave County Development Services is currently recruiting for a Permits Technician in the Planning and Zoning Division.
Performs technical support to the Building, Environmental Quality/Waste Disposal Services and Planning and Zoning Divisions within the Development Services Department. Incumbents are expected to perform office research and answer questions from other agencies within assigned area of responsibility. REPORTS TO
Higher level of authority. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May be assigned to exercise technical or functional supervision of lower level support staff. Essential Job Functions
As Assigned to Development Services:
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Translates resolutions that change zoning districts and determines compliance.
- Verifies legal, zoning, resolutions, rezones, zoning use permits, subdivisions, commercial and residential, variances, permits, setbacks, easements, abandonment's, overlay, septic/sewer, and flood requirements.
- Assists the public in the preparation of building and zoning permit applications including answering basic permit content questions.
- Assists other County departments with permit applications.
- Collects fees; enters applications using the ACCELA software, signs off ACCELA Automation workflows, issues permits and provides copies to customer, Assessor's Office and the State of Arizona. Verifies that tap fees have been paid prior to Certificates of Occupancy being issued or mobile homes being set.
- Updates all counter zoning maps and related data bases.
- Signs off on permit approvals when required.
- Analyzes and checks submitted permit applications; assists at the front counter; answers questions on zoning and environmental health matters from the public and County staff; determines whether plot plans and drawings meet the County zoning regulations and/or environmental health regulations and whether there are any observable errors in the submissions.
- Makes recommendations to staff concerning the adequacy of the submitted documents.
- Performs mathematical calculations relative to assigned projects.
- Reviews deeds and legal descriptions and performs office research to gather information on correct legal descriptions and owner of record.
- Verifies accuracy of legal descriptions.
- Prepares monthly invoices for annually permitted establishments and generates annual permits.
- Receipts monies collected.
- Maintains regular contact with County departments, governmental agencies, contractors, the general public and other agencies while obtaining information and data.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with appropriate personnel and agencies.
- Maintains appropriate up to date records and files affecting assigned work area.
- Verifies site plan, lot dimensions, and setbacks.
- Create and maintain a supportive work environment with other departments and community programs, Public Health divisions, and Public Health leadership on accreditation domain while maintaining a culture of quality improvement.
- Apply basic principles, practices, techniques, teaching, and communication methods related to the age, gender, race/ethnicity, educational level and socioeconomic status of community members.
- Communicate and act in a cultural competent and professional manner maintaining cooperative relationships with community members, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- May prepare daily deposits.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School diploma /GED (General Education Degree).
- One (1) year technical, general clerical support work and/or customer service experience AND
- One (1) year relevant experience in either Permitting, Planning, Zoning, Engineering Technician, Building Technician, Title Company and/or Realtor or related field.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Procedures, terminology and accepted or common practices, and policies of the assigned specialized work and the department/area to which assigned.
- Standard office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Filing and Information Systems.
- Computer literacy to include use of specialized permitting programs, electronic spreadsheets and word processing applications.
- Specialized knowledge of County, state and federal laws, rules, regulations and ordinances pertaining to planning and zoning, methods of land descriptions.
- Graphic techniques and topographic mapping, septic and sewer setbacks.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Efficiently operating and utilizing modern office machines as necessary to include typewriters, fax transmittal machines, calculators, and the use of computer keyboards and related software and peripheral equipment.
- Communicating and acting in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Work independently
- Interpret technical information encountered in the performance of responsibilities.
- Secure facts; document information; evaluate data and draw valid conclusions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, the general public, and County departments and external agencies.
- Deal tactfully and diplomatically in adverse situations.
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.